Chapter 4: Anna

I watched as those black, polished shoes made their way closer to the bed. They didn't look like they were connected to the woman I met before. They neared with some sort of drag that was unfamiliar to me. My heart dropped in my chest.

She began to hum softly, her footsteps in time with the tune. A chill ran down my spine. No wonder they were all so scared, so terrified of her...and her games. She was acting strange, and there was an almost threatening aura in the room.

But for some reason, I felt like this wasn't the 'game' Alex was talking about.

"Where are you sweetheart?...Mommy can't wait to see your beautiful face... Your young, smooth, childish face..."she hissed, making her way to right outside the bed. Her words swam in my ears, leaving me shaking. My head began to spin from the fear in my lungs.

Something was wrong with her.

Something was going to happen if she caught us.

Something will happen if—

She stopped.

I knew that she was going to look under the bed, and it looked as though Carson knew it too. He bit his lip, letting out a shaky breath. He opened his eyes and just smiled at me, breathing out slowly. I could see past the face he was putting on.

He was afraid.

I didn't understand what was going on—but I knew for a fact that I should be afraid too.

'It will be okay,' he mouthed, wiping my tears away with the back of his hand. 'Just be quiet, and it will be fine. I promise.'

I nodded as he placed his finger over his mouth. I could feel my heart pound. Something bad was going to happen. If Mommy got Carson—something bad will happen to him.

I heard ragged breathing above the bed, and I began to see long, twisted fingers reaching under it, towards Carson. Carson tensed, watching the expression on my face. He knew what was happening.

I squeezed my eyes shut, waiting for my fate, or more of, Carson's. He would be caught first. Whatever was going to happen, was going to happen to him. He let out an almost silent sob.

But then, I heard it. It came from the hallway, and it sounded as though something had been rolled, like a stone or an empty can. Carson's eyes flew open.

As soon as that noise met my ears, the woman, Mommy, stood up and dragged her feet into the hall. She cackled, her voice sending me goosebumps. Relief came next, once I realized she was out of the room.

Carson looked at me and sighed, patting my head comfortingly. 'I told you it would be okay,' he mouthed, and that only led to me cry. He lied. He thought it wasn't going to be okay. In the off chance there wasn't a noise in the hall, he knew he wouldn't be okay.

At that moment I learned that Carson is a liar.

But he's also very brave.

But his relieved expression quickly passed as his eyes shadowed over. He seemed deep in thought—and the realization of something came over me too.

If not us, who else will Mommy catch?

The fear I felt made my body numb, and any other feelings like relief or safety didn't seem to come to me. Mommy could've gotten us, yes. But something made me think that the noise wasn't an accident.

Something made me think the noise was on purpose—a distraction.

Minutes passed, and Carson still wouldn't move from his position under the bed. He was stiff, and winced at the slightest of sounds. He knew that it wasn't safe yet, and maybe it was from the fact that no one has been found.