Chapter 47: The Voice

Everything seemed to move so fast as I saw Mommy appear in the room, her smile wide and brooding. She seemed to look more normal than she did before, as though she might've just came back from in town. Jen and Aki followed her shortly, a look of fear coating their face. Their eyes were locked on the floor, as they prepared for their fate.

"Congratulations sweetheart!" Mommy said, running towards me and hugging me tightly. I froze and winced in horror, fear settling in my lungs. Suddenly, as though I was healed, all of my cuts and fractured pieces stopped hurting altogether. I fluttered my eyes as Mommy pulled away. Something is off...

My mind faded away as Mommy asked me who I wanted to go bye-bye. I couldn't answer, so Carson answered first me, choosing Jen. Choosing Jen because of how she threatened to hurt Anna, how she tried to hurt me.

But before Mommy decided to take Jen's life, a cruel, menacing smile crossed her face. She looked at me with joyful eyes, and with a soft, heartfelt voice, she said," I think my precious, winning Sister deserves something more than a victory." I looked up to her, watching as her eyes morphed strangely to an inky black, rather completely white like her usual look.

She walked over to Jen, and I had to keep myself from screaming as Mommy shoved her hand slowly down Jen's throat, causing Jen to gag and struggle to breathe. Mommy went deeper and deeper, going up to her elbow down Jen's throat until she stopped, her smile growing far wider than before.

She ripped her arm out, causing Jen to spew up blood and fall back on the floor, heaving painfully for air. She clawed at the ground, looking up in horror as Mommy held out a tiny, black marble for everyone to see.

She lunged for me, and I didn't have time to react as she did the same thing to me as she did to Jen, shove her long, slender arm down my throat, choking me and restricting my air supply—the marble scraping me from the inside.

My throat burned and I felt as though my neck was going to be ripped open as I could feel her hand stretch and pull from inside my chest. I gagged, not a single huff of air able to reach me. Mommy's flesh tasted of rot and blood, which only caused me to gag even more. The pain was excruciating.

I could feel her put the moist, chilling marble at the center of my chest—immediately ripping her hand out. I gasped, spewing up blood, my throat burning and throbbing with the pain.

"Now," Mommy smiled, licking the blood and saliva of mine off of her arms. I shivered in disgust, confused and uncertain of why she did that to Jen and I. I glanced over at Jen, and I could see fear pass her eyes as she looked as though she was trying to say something. Trying to say something...

Mommy smiled, looking at me with her dark, beady eyes. "Now tell Mommy you love her, for the wonderful gift she just gave you."

I didn't know what she gave me, but I could see the impatience in her eyes. I began to cry as I realized I wouldn't be able to say anything. I realized that she would punish me, and since this was the second time she got mad about this, she might kill me.

But nevertheless, I tried to push the words out of my mouth, fear clutching my gut.

"I l-love you...Mommy."

I gasped as the words left my mouth, the voice coming out to seem like Jen's. Even though it was quiet and dull, it still made it out. Mommy giggled, clapping her hands excitedly. "Good girl, Mommy is very pleased with you."

I shook my head in confusion, trying not to swallow whatever Mommy did to me away. Was that Jen's voice? What that black marble somehow a vessel to let you talk? How can you just take that out of someone?

I didn't bother to think much about it as I looked to Carson, my face bright with joy. "I-I can talk...speak- Talk, talk..." I struggled to get the words to form in my mouth, the excitement too much. "I can't-"

All of my joy faded away as I saw Mommy leaning over Jen, her face wild with blood-lust and excitement. My heart began to race as Mommy pressed her long, thin fingers against Jen's chest. We passed each other a look as tears flowed down her face, blood running from her mouth. But something was off.

Jen no longer held a look of fear. Her face was blank, emotionless. She looked empty, as though she was a puppet waiting for her orders. She looked fake.

I gasped as Mommy pushed her long, dirty nails through Jen's chest, the life in her eyes quickly fading. Mommy pulled out Jen's hearts, holding it up—seeming to be satisfied with the way it leaked blood all the way down her arm. I shook in fear, and Carson pulled me back.

The heart was still beating, as though Jen was still alive.

Aki held no expression of sadness or grief as she walked upstairs, Carson and I following. I was horrified. The voice I now had belonged to someone dead, someone I led to die. I was shaking in fear at the sight I just witnessed. But something was nagging me. Something wasn't right about that—something was different.

I walked into the room, and I could feel my heart drop in absolute confusion.

"A...Alex?"

Alex was in the room, smiling and holding what seemed to be his newborn baby boy, Anna smiling happily as she rested on his shoulder. I rubbed my eyes, looking around in horror. He looked up, laughing and motioning me forward.

I ran up to him, laughing and holding back relieved grateful tears. "Alex?! I thought you were...dead!"

All he did was shake his head and laugh, placing a small kiss on the baby's forehead. My face didn't let go of the look of confusion. Anna laughed at my expression, patting on the empty part of the bed next to her. I had so many questions, so many things I longed to know. How was Alex still alive, and when did Anna give birth? What was happening?

I sat down, Anna wrapping her arm around me.

"I'm assuming you won? How was the game?" She asked, and I nearly sighed out loud in relief. "It was horrifying! There were these needles and pretty orbs in the water...but those orbs popped and there were these human-like creatures- then Carson turned back-"

Carson popped his head up, raising an eyebrow. "I never turned back," he stated simply, and I shook my head. "Yes you did, remember? You put on the blindfold and you went back towards the Babysitter?" He laughed, smiling happily at the new child. "That water must've messed up your brain, you alright kiddo?"

I raised an eyebrow, confusion taking place of the relief. I didn't argue again, and I nodded, shaking it off. Something was off...

I looked at Alex, smiling as he played with the baby. "Alex, how did you make it out alive? I thought Mommy took you—I thought—" I paused when his face darkened, and he stared at me with a blood-curdling, horrifying expression. I held my breath and I watched as he glared at me, a silent threat.

No, Alex wouldn't act like that. He was nice, and he never looked at me like since I was here. Alex never looked at anyone so menacingly, so coldly. Anna ignored the tension, and I looked away, longing for him to leave me alone. Something was different...

"Um...Never mind," I whispered, and I could immediately feel the tension release. Alex turned the baby away from me, where I couldn't see its face. I rubbed my eyes, hoping the way they were acting was just a moment's thing, but the fake, dull expressions never left their face. They looked like dolls, emotionless and empty.

But I knew something was off. There was one thing that led me to believe that something had changed, that these weren't the people I thought they were.

They didn't say anything about my voice.