08. LOCKED IN A STORAGE CLOSET

MAIA SHOULD'VE LEARNED from the first time: Cassie Walker was a liar. She should've realized something was wrong when Cassie had decided their little bonding session was getting boring. She should've realized all of that the second she was forced to step outside with Cassie, especially with that determined look on her face.

"Let's go talk about something nice" meant Cassie dragging Maia out of her room and shoving her in one of the Argo II's many storage closets.

"Come on, Cassie." Maia banged on the door. "This isn't funny."

"You're not coming out of there until you talk it out." Came Piper's voice.

Maia's eyes widened, and she slowly turned in her place. She was met with the one and only son of Jupter–the one person she wasn't so sure she wanted to see right now.

The room was dimly lit, but she could see him almost perfectly. He had the same nervous look on his face Maia was sure adorned her own, and he also seemed just as caught off-guard as she had been the moment that door was opened.

They stood in silence for a few minutes, just looking at each other. Blinking. Breathing. Wanting to leave.

"So." Jason said. "Here we are."

"I don't want to talk to you right now."

"We're never getting out of here if we don't" he said, raising an eyebrow.

"I'll break the door down, I don't care."

"They'll just keep shoving us in different rooms, Maia."

"So I'll keep breaking down doors." She deadpanned.

She was dead serious. She turned around to try and figure out exactly how to get out, when Jason caught her arm.

"Maia."

"What?" She was getting annoyed.

"Maybe this is a good thing." He said.

"How is this a good thing? You and I clearly have nothing nice to say to each other right now, so I don't think we should talk."

"Come on, Maia. We're affecting the team. I mean, you saw what happened at the mess hall."

"Nothing happened at the mess hall. There was a simple solution to our little insignificant problem."

"Insignificant?"

"I mean," she smiled, "I'm thriving, aren't I?  So everything else around me has to be small, right?"

"Maia, please just let me–"

"Besides, I've been so busy living life without you, I probably don't need to hear what you have to say, so, unless you want to tell me what else I did wrong this time, I'll just be over there." She pointed to the other side of the small closet, not so far away from him, but far enough that she didn't want to rip his face off.

She'd barely taken a step when he spoke.

"You ruined my life!"

˚₊· ͟͟͞͞➳❥

Maia stood frozen for a solid minute. She was staring at the wall, face void of emotion. Did she hear that correctly?

"What." Her stoic expression fell when she saw how serious he looked.

"You heard what I said."

It took Maia a second to process that, but she was back to using sarcasm as a defense mechanism once more.

She scoffed. "Yeah? How'd I manage to do that, then." She challenged.

"You..."

"I..?"