Sycamore Leaves

What was I thinking? Leaving him like that?

I didn't mean to. It was all so fast, I wasn't even thinking. If I knew, it would've been different. 

The September rain beat down on me as I ran. I could barely see a thing but I kept running. I don't even know where. Where could I even go at this hour after all was said and done?

I'm running. Back into the woods, back to where it all began. Down to the tracks. I can't stay, as much as I want to. I would've stayed there all night with him if the sound of sirens didn't snap me away from my thoughts. No, I can't run from the cops! That looks too suspicious. Besides, I didn't even do anything wrong.

What was I doing?

I still don't have the answer to that. But I see him. I can see his face, his eyes wide open with horror as he screams.

What was I thinking?

Nothing. Nothing at all.

Jumping up from my bed, I place a hand on my chest to calm my beating heart. It was just a dream. Just a dream.

I looked out the window and could see the rain coming down just like it had that night. I knew he was out there somewhere. Whether he was alive or dead, he was out there. 

"You'll never get over me," he tells me.

My snarky mind responds with: "watch me!"

He was right. It's only been 2 weeks and I haven't slept since. 

I sigh and push myself out of bed, turning on the lamp.

It was just a dream. It was just a dream.