Cosy Prisons

Things had not been easy lately. It had been days since Pål had slept or even gone out of the house. Most days, he'd just sit down with his guitar and barely say a word to anyone. The others knew something was wrong but didn't know what to do.

"Hey Pål," Morten said, setting his bag on the floor. "How was your day?"

Pål shrugged.

"Fine, I guess," he whispered, picking out a melody.

"New song?" Morten asked, going into the kitchen and getting some water. Pål nodded.

"I'd like to hear it when it's done," he smiled but Pål didn't even look up.

"You alright?" He asked, taking a few steps toward him.

"Fine," Pål repeated, taking his guitar off of him and setting it on the floor. Morten frowned as he watched his friend storm upstairs, unsure of what he was supposed to do. 

**Some time later**

"Hey, man," Magne smiled as he stepped into the bedroom, where Pål was curled up in the blankets. He sighed and pulled them off of him, revealing his angry face.

"What's going on?" He asked quietly and Pål sighed.

"Nothing," he whispered. "Just have a headache."

"You had a headache yesterday," Magne pointed out. "And the day before and so on."

He reached over and placed his hand on Pål's forehead. He jumped away before he could get a good feel of it.

"Well, you don't feel warm..." he said, frowning. "Is everything alright with you?"

Pål sighed and Magne sat down beside him.

"Did you talk to that girl yet?" He asked with a slight grin. Pål looked at him, embarrassed.

"Wh-what girl?" He stammered and Magne let out a laugh.

"That brunette chic you were talking to awhile ago."

"Lauren?"

"Yeah, Lauren," he grinned. "She's cute, innit she?"

Pål shrugged and blushed.

"I-I guess..." he said, looking down.

"So did you talk to her?" Magne prompted and Pål shook his head.

"N-not exactly..." he said, pulling the blankets over his head. "M-Morten introduced me to her a-and she said she liked our music..."

"Morten knew her?" He asked and Pål smiled.

"No, but you know him. He never knows anyone. Just acts like he does." 

Magne laughed.

"Well, that's good that you got to talk to her." He smiled and could hear Pål sigh again from under the covers.

"I-I didn't talk talk to her. B-but I...I got her name."

"Lauren," Magne smiled. "Pretty name for a pretty girl." 

"Why are you here, Mags?" Pål snapped, revealing his head again.

"Morten said you were out of sorts and I wanted to check on you." He said, gently putting his hand on his friend's shoulder. Pål groaned and Magne frowned, a realization coming to him.

"Does this have something to do with your meeting with Lauren?"

"No, I-I just...I don't wanna talk about it."

Magne knew he was stepping into troubled waters by pushing him but couldn't help but continue.

"She likes you," he said with a smile. "Dare I say she loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah."

"No, she doesn't," he muttered.

"We must be talking about a different girl then," Magne joked. "Long curly brown hair, about this tall, American chic? Yeah, she was all over you!"

Pål smiled slightly.

"Yeah, that's Lauren. And she was not all over me."

"She liked you," he said, patting his friend on the back. "She liked you, and that's what's important."

"She probably felt bad for me or something," Pål sighed. "She probably thought I was too tall and quiet and skinny."

"Or maybe she liked you," Magne shrugged. "It looked like you liked her too."

"Yeah," he looked back up at him. "I'll give you that."

"And you've been here moping ever since, huh."

Pål didn't answer as Magne got up and made his way to the door.

"All you gotta do is call her and say hi, you know," Magne smiled.

"C-call her?" His eyes widened.

"Yes!" He said happily.

"But what...what if she doesn't like me?" Pål stammered. "What if I mess up and say the wrong thing? What if I sound like a creep for calling her---?"

"Pål!" He said sternly. "Just say hi. See where it goes from there."

Pål frowned.

"And then what?"

Magne grinned. 

"Well, you won't know until you talk to her, now would you?"

"I---" He started, stopping himself. He looked down at his hands.

"Morten and I can help you out if you need to," Magne offered. "I know you don't really like talking to many new people but you'll be okay. Just take a chance."

Pål nodded, still keeping his head low. Magne frowned and took a step toward him.

"Are you alright?" He asked concerned, and Pål nodded again.

"Yeah," he whispered. "Just need a minute."

"Oh," Magne smiled slightly. "Well, okay. Come down when you're ready. We'll all be there for you."

Even though his head was low, Magne could see Pål smile for a second.

"Thanks," he choked out. Magne gave him a quick hug before going toward the door.

"Of course."