Dear Prudence

Thump! Thump! Thump!

She sniffled and wiped her eyes, making her way toward the source of the noise. She came to the window and saw him standing outside, throwing rocks at it. He grinned once he noticed her and gestured that she open the window.

She let out a heavy sigh before unlocking it and opening it up.

"Hey, Pru!" He called out.

"What do you want?" Prudence asked, crossing her arms over her chest. 

"To apologize," he said with a smile. "Now will you let me in, please?"

"John," she sighed. "I don't wanna do this."

"Why not?" He asked, slightly offended.

"Well, i-it's too early," she stammered, "and I don't wanna talk to you."

"Prudence," John said in a softer tone. "Are you still mad?"

"No, John," she groaned. "I'm just perfectly happy without you ruining my life."

"Look, I'm sorry," he said, still in that softer tone. "And look, I brought flowers for you."

He pulled out the bouquet he had been hiding behind his back, smiling proudly at them. She wasn't very impressed.

"Now will you please come down so we can at least talk?" He pleaded, getting onto his knees. "You don't have to forgive me, you don't have to like me, or anything like that. Just let me talk to you."

Prudence sighed, genuinely considering the offer before shaking her head no.

"Good day," she said, beginning to close the window. John jumped up and began going toward the house.

"No no no, don't do that! Prudence!" He said quickly. "Please, please, I'm begging you. Take a chance. Anything you ask for, I can do."

"Leave?" She asked and he took a step back.

"Afraid I won't do that, miss," John said sternly. "Not until I've made my case."

"Your case," Prudence scoffed. "What case?"

"My apology and-and a spiritual reawakening."

She looked at him, suspiciously.

"Prudence, I've changed," he said. "I've changed for the better because I've met you. That was all you. And I want to be better, I want you to teach me how to be better."

"Why are you doing this?" She asked, voice breaking slightly. "Why are you doing this to me? Why can't you just leave me alone?"

"Prudence," He said softly. "I'm so sorry."

"If you were really sorry, you wouldn't keep doing this," she huffed, turning away.

"Please?"

She turned back around to see John get on one knee, holding out the flowers toward the window.

"You don't have to forgive me. All I'm asking is that you at least talk to me."

"We're talking right now," she challenged, causing him to let out a laugh. 

"But we're not speaking," he said in a more serious tone. "We're not connecting. Keeping yourself locked in there isn't gonna make things any better, you know."

She closed her eyes, a silent cue telling him to leave. A cue he didn't seem to catch.

"Do you wanna go out later?" He asked with hopeful eyes. "A walk, a drink, whatever. Name the place, and we'll go."

She sighed, a slight smile coming onto her face.

"I don't know," she admitted and John nodded, standing up.

"That's okay, that's okay," he said, wiping the grass off his pants. "You don't have to know right now. Just...just tell me if you think of something."

He smiled up at her and tipped an imaginary hat before turning around, making his way back home.

"John, wait!" She called out, causing him to turn around.

"Yeah?" He asked and she smiled at him.

"I'll think about it and let you know."