Chapter II - Kill the Demons

S: Trust can only be earned with time.

And death is closer than we all imagine.

!!!TW!!!

This chapter contains: Public executions and Death.

-  -  -

Tubbo woke up around 4 in the morning. He got up and walked to the kitchen. But when he turned on the light, he saw Ranboo seated on the ground, sleeping.

He smiled and got down on one knee. "Hello there," he said, softly, touching his shoulder.

Ranboo woke up, opening his eyes slowly, but quickly looked away as he realized Tubbo was there, staring at him. "Sorry," he apologized. "I fell asleep."

"I can see that," he laughed. "But I think you would be more comfortable in a bed. It's still early, you can go back to sleep."

"What time is it?"

"Around 4 am."

"Why did you wake up this early?"

"I have to go to work."

"I thought only adult humans worked."

"Unfortunately, no. I'm an orphan, so I need to do something to survive."

"What do you work with?"

"I cut wood to sell in the Gray Market. But I don't have money enough to have my own booth, so my best friend's father sells it for me."

"That's...kind."

"Yeah. They have helped me a lot since my parents died."

"But why do you go so early?"

"Well, I usually go cut the wood around 7 am so I have time to also carry it to the market and do some chores at home, but today I'm going earlier. It's an important day."

"I see..." Ranboo wanted to ask why it was an important day, but he didn't want to be unpleasant, so he stayed quiet.

Tubbo got up and opened a cabinet to get coffee. "Have you eaten anything yet?"

"No..."

"Why? I told you to eat. Aren't you hungry?"

"No, it's fine, I'm not hungry," he lied, but right in that moment, his stomach growled.

"Are you sure about that?" Tubbo asked, smirking. He grabbed an apple and threw it at Ranboo. "If you're scared that I might poison you, then, at least, eat fruit. There's not much of a chance I would be able to poison that."

Tubbo kept making his breakfast. Ranboo stared at him for a while, and then at the apple. He thought well of what he should do, but the hunger was such, he just decided to eat it.

After a while, Tubbo was already dressed up and ready to leave.

"I need to go now," he said. "Stay safe, alright?"

"When are you coming back?"

"Probably around midday. If someone knocks at the door, don't open it. Don't go near the windows nor the door. And if you hear anyone other than me coming in, run to your bedroom and hide, okay?"