Gods and Avatars

Marc and I both reluctantly head into the dark opening.

As we approach the room, he glances over to the shiny wall.

"Where are we?" I ask without thinking.

"Uhh, apparently the pyramid of Giza." Marc responds as we walk into a huge open room.

The room had step-like walls that closed up in a point at the top, but down on the ground it was much more interesting, statues and pillars lined the walls, leaving a large opening at the base. I noticed multiple doorways, which a few people were stepping out of. Most of the doorways were on top of a sort of platform.

"Woah." I say in awe, I and pretty much everyone in the entire world has been taught that the pyramids were tombs for the great pharaohs of Ancient Egypt, and while I'm sure that proves to be true, it sure isn't in this case.

I follow Marc as we step off the platform bordering the side of the pyramid we had come out of, and walk into the center. The way it's set up reminds me of a sports stadium, Marc and I just players for the other avatars to root for, or against.

"Let me do the talking." Marc whispers, I go to answer but get cut off when one doorway on the lower level lights up as we step off, a very pretty tanned woman walking out.

"Khonsu's theatrics are unparalleled." She states laughing. "You must be his avatar." She says to Marc.

"Hi. And who are you?" He asks somewhat sheepishly.

"I'm Yatzil, Avatar of Hathor." She introduces. She's very friendly, which is giving me some hope that we might get lucky in this.

"Okay." Marc says, obviously not knowing who Hathor is.

"And who are you?" She asks me.

"I-"I go to start before Marc cuts me off.

"No one. She's just here to observe." He says, I elbow him, before continuing.

"Rowan, avatar of Ma'at. Hathor's the goddess of music and love right?" I ask, not passing up the opportunity to be better than Marc at something.

"Yes! Surely Khonsu mentioned her?" She asks turning back to Marc who shakes his head.

"The gods aren't really his favorite topic." He says, I notice the blood from his little killing spree is still smeared across his face.

"Not even when they are old friends?" Yatzil's face drops a bit as she asks the question.

"Sorry." Marc dismisses almost instantly.

"She says it was not so long ago Khonsu enjoyed Hathor's melodies." Yatzil says chuckling.

"We'll, as far as I know, the only melody Khonsu enjoys is the sound of pain." He states mournfully.

"Way to be a Debby downer, Marc." I cut in, and uh, let's just say it looks could kill, I'd already be 6 feet under.

"Yatzil." A man calls from the platform, a few other Avatars line the platform.

Yatzil starts to walk towards the other avatars, motioning for us to follow, as we walk I notice Marc looking at some of the statues. He looks worried.

"Have Khonsu or Ma'at told either of you how this works?" Yatzil asks as she steps up.

"Not really." I say.

"Is there something we should know?" Marc asks, though the same question rings in my mind.

"I try not to fight it. It's a strange sensation but you'll get used to it." She says, I hear Marc mutter something before Yatzil's head falls back for a second.