Eight

————————

Viper's POV:
He sat at his desk reading the letters that Sarah and Tom wrote for him. This was a tough decision. On one hand, Slider and Jacob would not be happy. On the other hand, they would make the best damn flight team in Top Gun history. He set the letters aside, sighing to himself. Maybe the high command would know what to do...

————————

Pete and Nick walked down to the volleyball field. Today was an easy day for the Top Gun students. Jacob followed them, applying sunscreen onto himself because he burns very easily.

Sarah was back in the changing room getting ready for the beach. She had her towel, sunscreen, and a good attitude; that is, until a certain someone walked into the changing room.

"Hey," Tom said, smiling at her.

She ignored him and pulled out a bikini from her locker. It was red and orange, just like the sunset. Tom stared for a second but quickly changed his face before she could notice. He gave her a grin and walked away. He needed to prepare for the match against Nick and Pete.

In the shower stall, Sarah changed into her bikini. She laughed, thinking about what Tom would say about her. He never saw her without flight gear or modest clothes before. She put a white shirt on over it and began walking out of the room. Tom caught up to her, he had jogger pants on and he was ripped. He smiled when he caught her staring.

"What are you looking at?" He asked playfully.

"Oh, nothing," Sarah smiled.

They walked down to the beach together where Pete and Nick were already on their side of the volleyball net. Slider was waiting for Tom, a sour look on his face.

"What took you so long?" He yelled at them.

"I had to get ready!" Tom shouted back. He ran to Slider and they took their positions. Sarah went to the bleachers and sat there, watching.

The game started off strong, with Pete and Nick gaining a few points. Then, Slider and Tom began strategizing and they were catching up fast. Sarah was watching with anticipation to see who would win. Tom and Slider finished with one more point above them and Nick was trying to get Pete to play another round, but he said he "had to go". Sarah assumed it was to see Charlie.

"Sarah, could you fill in for Mav?" Nick asked her pleadingly.

"Sure, I'll have a go," She replied, sliding off of the bleachers.

The sun was setting slowly, but she didn't see why not. She took her shirt off revealing the bikini. Tom stopped and looked her up and down, slowly. She sent him a smirk.

"Hold on. Before we play, how about we spice things up a bit?" Tom said, peeking through the holes in the net.

"What did you have in mind?" Nick asked cautiously.

"We will make a bet. If Slider and I win, I have to take Sarah somewhere, but it is my choice," Tom said.

"Okay, well, if we win, you have to lose your next dogfight... on purpose," Sarah added emphasis on the last part.

"Deal," They shook hands under the net and the game began.

Nick set her up and she whacked the ball across the net, but Slider and Tom were too good. Nick got a point for them, but it was too late - Tom and Slider had already won by three points.

They reconvened in the middle of the field. "Well, it's a date then," Tom winked at Sarah. She rolled her eyes and walked away, putting her T-shirt back on. She was dreading this, and she didn't know where he would take her. It could be far away for all she knew.

————————

Once everyone finished changing again, there was a unanimous vote to go to a restaurant outside of town. They all got into their cars.

"Want to ride with me?" Tom sidled up beside her.

"I suppose..." she sighed and got into his car.

They talked about nothing in particular and arrived at the restaurant. Everyone split off into their own groups. Sarah wanted to sit with Tom, but Slider was there, so she joined Nick.

"How's it goin'?" Nick asked her.

"Fine." She said, playing with a straw wrapper.

"I'm sorry we lost; it must be hard to think about where Ice is gonna take you," He said sadly.

"It's okay. It is only one date, then we can put it behind us."

"Let's hope so. Mav is gonna be pissed when he finds out."

"Why? He has no business knowing what I do with Ice, as long as it doesn't interfere with our friendship."

"Well, he always has a bad feeling about Ice. He doesn't show it unless it's between the both of them, but every time you and him go somewhere, he gives him a death stare."

"If he doesn't like it, then he doesn't have to watch."

They ate the rest of their dinner in silence and went back to their cars. Tom held his car door open for Sarah and she got in, smiling at him.

"How was your dinner?" He asked her.

"It was alright, I miss Pete though. He always made dinner fun."

"Yeah... Pete."

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing, I guess I never liked him. He is always dangerous with his flying, and he is going to get himself - or someone else - killed one day."

"Don't say that!"

"I'm sorry."

They arrived at Sarah's building and she got out without saying anything. She was mad at Tom for saying that last sentence, but he was right. Pete does have a mean streak for flying.

Tom went back to his bunk and laid there. Perhaps I was too harsh with that last statement? I feel bad, but I can't leave and tell her that now. Tomorrow, I'll make it up to her. I've decided on the date - we will watch the sunset together.

————————

Thanks for reading!