Chapter 10: Opposite Perspectives

Hunter rolled over in his sleep, shifting around as he heard clattering from around him. He squinted, the sunlight warm on his face and shining through his eyelids-

He sat up quickly, hands flying to his face. No mask. Scanning for enemies, he was met with the sight of Y/n casually sitting on the bough of a tree, fiddling with his helmet.

"Oh, good," she grinned. "You're awake. I was wondering what colour your eyes were." 

He scowled. "Give me my mask back!" 

Y/n shook her head and inclined further into the tree. "How are you planning to make me? You can't kill me," she teased, ticking off the items on her fingers, "you can't spell me, and you seem incapable of asking nicely, so I guess I'm keeping this."

Hunter groaned in annoyance. "Just get down from there," he relented. "You're gonna mess up your bandages and I'm the one who'll end up redoing them

She made an over-dramatic shocked expression. "So you do care after all," she cooed.

"I care about getting back to the castle and out of these stupid trees," he sneered. "And I can't do that if you're dead."

"Hmm," Y/n smirked, swinging down from the tree, shoving his mask in her bag. "Alright then, what's your genius plot to both get me to the Emperor and keep me from escaping?"

The demon emerged from the backpack, grinning. "Yeah! We're slippery little guys!" he crowed triumphantly.

 "Don't use the term 'slippery', buddy," Y/n muttered to him. King shrugged and disappeared back into the bag. "Whatever. I'll be napping if you need me."

"Right now the best idea is just tying you two up and dragging you there," Hunter threatened. "You'd collapse from exhaustion halfway to the city," Y/n tsked.

She hopped down from the tree. "Luckily for you, King and I were headed that way already. It'll spare you the effort of taking us forcefully the entire way there."

Hunter jogged after her, elbowing his way ahead of her. "Hold on. I'm in charge, are we clear? The only reason I'm not carrying you over my shoulder right now is because I'd rather not tire myself out," he ordered. 

Y/n scoffed. "Whatever you need to tell yourself, Order Boy."

He frowned. "What do you mean by Order Boy? That's supposed to be a bad thing?"

Y/n slowed her pace, thinking her next words over. "I mean, it's not necessarily bad to follow orders in some cases," she began carefully. "But you obey whatever Belos orders you to do, no matter how despicable it is."

"His actions aren't despicable!" Hunter said defensively. "He's helping the Isles, uniting everyone through the covens. If I didn't follow orders, I'd end up like you."

"Like me?" Y/n laughed bitterly. "Being hunted down purely because I'm different? Because my mother raised me with alternate beliefs to everyone else?"

"The Owl Lady is a criminal," he stated firmly, refusing to meet her gaze. "And so are you. No argument is gonna change that."

They travelled in silence, eyes avoiding each others.

"What you said earlier, referring to the Owl Lady-Eda as your mother," Hunter started, breaking the quiet between them. "Why do you do that?"

Y/n shrugged. "She raised me. She's been protecting me and keeping me safe since I was a baby."

"But she's not like you. How could she, a non-wolf, have raised a werewolf all these years?" he asked, listening intently. She shook her head.