Chapter Four

"Mooooom!" I called, the moment I walked in the door.

She appeared in the kitchen doorway, dressed in her uniform, hair unkempt and slick with sweat.

"What is it, honey?" She asked distractedly. "Did you have fun on your walk?"

"Yes," I answered shortly. "Listen, there's something I want to talk with you about."

She glanced back over her shoulder, probably exchanging an impatient look with my father in the next room over.

"Sure, honey, but make it quick, okay?"

I nodded. I had no intention to make her upset at the moment.

"So," I began, formulating the lie as I spoke. "When I was out and about today, I met this really nice woman named Alina. She and I were sort of talking, and she mentioned that she's been having difficulty finding a babysitter for her kids."

My mom watched in silence, but there were no signs that she doubted my story thus far.

"I figured that since I have a lot of time on my hands, it might be okay for me to do it. So, I told her I would ask you about it to see if it's okay."

She seemed a bit apprehensive, but after a minute or two of consideration she appeared to be willing to entertain the idea.

"When would you be watching them?"

"Weekdays," I replied. "Six hours, from one to seven in the afternoon. Sometimes til' eight, depending on the day"

"Huh," She said. "Those are some weird hours... What kind of job does she have?"

"Uhm..." I stumbled. "I don't know exactly what she does... She-she just told me she has to work a late night shift."

Maybe it would've been smart to come up with and rehearse a story beforehand, I criticized, staring into my mother's eyes expectantly.

She sighed.

"If you think you can manage your schoolwork, practice, and a babysitting job..." She trailed off.

I held my breath.

"...Then I guess that's alright."

On the outside, I smiled and thanked my mother calmly. On the inside, however, I was fully immersed in a cheerful little happy dance. All of the pieces had fallen into place so far; I'd managed to find an ice rink, get a free skating coach, and get away with the most important lie I'd ever told in my life. At this point, I found myself nervous that it was all going to go away. Nothing had ever worked out so well for me before, so I was understandably put on edge by this massive stroke of good luck.

In the end I decided it was most important to just enjoy it while it lasts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ma'am, for the last time, you're not allowed on the ice unless you pay an admission fee. That's final, unless you'd like to speak to my manager," I droned, just about fed up with this lady. I cheered silently when she finally caved and coughed up the money, and just about collapsed once she was gone.

The first day of work wasn't as difficult as I'd thought it would be, but that didn't mean it hadn't come with its quirks. Alina had suggested I learn to work the counter first, since it was the easiest job. So, when the occasional customer came in, I collected cash, handed out a pair of rental skates, and waved them on to the right rink. It had been nerve wracking... for the first three hours. It was now six twenty-six, and I'd gotten into a boring routine that closely resembled that of the rest of my life.