Chapter Fourteen

"So, what do you think?"

Somewhat clumsily, I marched out onto the ice where Yuri was already waiting. Ever since buying my new skating gear, I'd been itching to get back into it and perform some new moves. Maybe it was just that unbearable impatience building up within me, pestering me constantly as the day that I would get out of my cast grew closer, screaming, You HAVE to get back onto the ice, dammit, I'm going to lose my mind if you don't get back on the ice RIGHT NOW!!!

No matter how far away that moment had felt in the past, it was finally here. I'd had to force myself to slow down as I tied my skates with excitement, and when I did get into the rink, I was grinning ear to ear.

"Looks just about the same as when you bought it... But I'll admit that it looks better in action," He stated, as I swiveled in an inside three-turn and touched down into a graceful outside pivot.

I giggled, unable to help myself. The new blades, freshly sharpened, felt much better than those of the cheap rentals I'd been using thus far. My movements felt sharper, more agile, as if I'd suddenly shed a huge weight and could finally move free.

Now that nothing was holding me back, however, I felt a surge of determination and impatience seeping in as I considered the question that was almost always on my mind these days: When is he going to teach me how to jump?

"Hey Yuri," I began hesitantly, trying to think of a way to broach the subject lightly. I had no idea how long I was supposed to train before learning jumps, so the thought that Yuri would laugh when I asked occurred and caused my nerves to act up. "When am I supposed to start learning how to jump?"

To my surprise, there was no laughter. Apparently it was a valid question... Either that, or he just didn't want to hurt my feelings by being so tactless as to say, "You really don't know? How could you be so stupid?"

"Well, I was supposed to start teaching you the toe-loop and the salchow before you broke your ankle..." He replied, slipping past me as he began to warm up. "But it would be pretty dumb to teach you that so soon after your cast was removed."

I couldn't help but groan in frustration.

"Oh, come on!" I exclaimed petulantly, clenching my fists. "The doctor said the bone is almost entirely healed, and I feel perfectly fine!"

At this, Yuri laughed, making my brows furrow in annoyance.

"That may be true, but that doesn't mean it can't get broken again. It's still weak from the healing process."

I persisted despite Yuri's obvious aversion to the idea. If he thought he was going to prevent me from reaching my full potential as quickly as possible, he was dead wrong. I would learn those jumps today, whether it was safe or not.

"Pleeeeeease, Yuri?" I whined, hands clasped together as if in prayer. "I already managed to do a toe loop once before... It's not like it'd be anything brand new and super dangerous!"

As I begged, I could see the hesitation in Yuri's eyes. That meant I couldn't give up right now; If I wanted him to cave, I had to keep going.

"I'm literally begging you, here!" I said, eyes wide and pleading. "And I'm going to be annoying about it for the whole lesson until you agree!"

After a moment of pondering, Yuri smirked at me.

"Fine... I'll teach you the jumps."

Unable to contain myself, I jumped up, pumping my fist in the air. "Yes!!!"

"But," He continued, giving me a stern look. "If you feel even the slightest pain in your ankle, you're to tell me about it immediately. We can't have you breaking your bones all over again."