Chapter Seven

My happy-go-lucky mood didn't last all the way home. I'd basked in the glory of my victory for about twenty minutes before I realized that I still had to deal with my parents' disappointment. (Granted, it was something I was used to, but that didn't make the whole ordeal any more pleasant.) My parents weren't going to see this succession of failures as me having a bad week; It was far more likely that they would assume I wasn't trying hard enough and chew me out for it. I knew I wasn't really trying to ace those interviews, but it still pissed me off that they would assume such a thing.

When we got through the door, Ivan told my parents immediately; The discussion that followed was not very pleasant.

"So," said my mother, approaching me with an expectant air about her. "How did it go this time? Hopefully better than the last one..."

I sighed and prepared myself to spill the beans to her, but Ivan interrupted before I even got a chance.

"Unfortunately, no..." He muttered, glancing sidelong in my direction. "It was quite a difficult experience."

I winced as my mother's face fell, and my father came into the room, interested now that he knew I'd failed again.

Mom looked like she was trying to appear calm, but I could tell from the look in her eyes that she was upset. After all, this was a pretty important interview that I'd just bombed, and my parents were putting a lot of hope into it. It's no wonder that they'd be pissed off.

Finally, she spoke.

"Honey," She began delicately. "That was a really important interview... What happened?"

I wanted to tell her what had actually happened, because then, for once, it wouldn't be my fault that something had gone wrong. I wanted to start whining to her, and I wanted my parents to be indignant about the treatment I'd received. I wanted them to comfort me or just stop making me do these stupid interviews because of what had happened.

But I knew that they would probably make a bigger fuss out of it than I wanted; They would storm into Quince Blue's office and demand an apology, or they would make a big public statement about it. More importantly, I think, is that telling them about this incident wouldn't stop them from pushing me to become an actor. So instead, I pretended it was all my fault.

"I don't really know what happened," I mumbled, silently praying that Ivan would hold his tongue about the ordeal. "I guess he just didn't like my acting or something."

The incompetent, "I couldn't care less" tone in my voice worked like magic. The looks of concern on their faces instantly morphed into those of people who have just been deeply disappointed.

"(Y/n)," My father said, eyes boring into me with parental rage. "We know you're not particularly fond of acting, but you can't continue to waste these opportunities. It's a privilege for you to be able to do this, and you're acting very ungrateful for all the help we've given you."

I scoffed. Maybe their time and money was assisting me in finding work and getting famous, but it certainly wasn't doing my mental and emotional health any favors. Plus, I don't think they realized how pointless it is to have an opportunity for something you don't want to do. Every day, I have an opportunity to run out into traffic without looking and break all of my bones; Doesn't mean it'd be a smart idea.

"I get that and all, but I never asked you to pay Ivan to get me all of these stupid job opportunities, okay?" I asserted, my voice growing louder and more powerful as I spoke. "You guys are the ones who are forcing me to do this; Can you blame me for failing all of my interviews?"

Mom raised her eyebrows, and my father stood up.

"(Y/n)," He warned. I knew I was digging a hole for myself at the moment, but I didn't really care. If anything, his threatening tone only made me angrier.