4. Counselling session gone wrong

A brightly lit room, with indoor plants, cozy sofa and homely vibes!!

That wasn't exactly the image Nakul had in his mind when he thought he would be meeting a counselor. It was nearly a 35 minutes ride from his school. He had to leave his car at school since he came with Dhiraj.

A woman in her 30s was sitting in front of them wearing a warm welcoming smile. Nakul indeed felt welcome. There was something about her presence that put him at ease.

A few minutes had passed following their arrival. To her, Dhiraj seemed confident, rather she sensed a tint of cockiness from him. But the other man was a different case. It was evident he didn't want to be there; fingers fidgety and a whiff of nervousness around him. She must calm him down first, which later she did. After a few moments of silence, she finally began.

"Nakul...?!"

Nakul promptly looked up as if a teacher called out a student who wasn't paying attention in a class.

Adorable!! Hehe. The counselor let out a small giggle. It wasn't a giggle mocking Nakul. Rather it came from a place of nostalgia. Nakul's fidgetiness reminded her of her own counseling session.

"You know what? Seeing you here like this, reminds me of when I took my first counseling session with my husband. He is a monochrome. And well, I'm his chrome." A blush was evident on the mention of her husband's name.

"I......understand what you are feeling. So much confusion. Out of nowhere, you meet this person and all it took was just one eye contact to realize how important they could be to you."

She took a pause, letting those words sink into Nakul. Smiling, she continued.

"Please don't be nervous. We aren't going to 'decide' anything here. We are here, just for a discussion."

"A discussion it is" Dhiraj emphasized.

"Yes. Let's first go through some things. To start with, we have these sessions so that the monochrome and their chrome can figure out things with the much needed care and attention. As you both know that, the conclusions get drawn in these discussions are life altering, we need to take those decisions in a way that both of you are comfortable with. Okay?"

She waited for a moment to make sure all three of them were on the same page. The pair nodded in agreement, signaling her to continue.

"Often it is depicted that monochromes and chromes end up in a romantic relationship, but that is not always the case. We can start off as being friends and figure out a point where both of your wants align. And then-"

She halted mid sentence since Dhiraj had to make one thing crystal clear.

"Actually, I seek a romantic relationship here-"

Pausing for a moment, he whispered, "I hope you don't hold a prejudice against us"

The counselor hadn't seen such a straight forward confession coming; she was too stunned. Regaining her composure she replied, "No-I-I-don't"

Nakul's eyes were left wide open with shock. 'How can this man spurt out these things' was all he could wonder. He closed his eyes and hid his face not wanting to face the embarrassment.

Seeing Nakul uneasy made the counselor all awkward.

"Great" continued Dhiraj, oblivious to Nakul's discomfort. "I fell for him the moment I saw him. and I would love it if we could move together and......just enjoy our time together. Right babe?" He completed, grinning proudly.

[A/N: how can this man be such an airhead?😐😑]

Dhiraj turned towards the other man in discussion to see his reaction, only to find a fuming Nakul trying so very hard not to burst out in rage. Ignoring Dhiraj's existence, he turned his focus on the counselor.