07

The sound of a door opening and then slamming shut draws me from my thoughts. When I refocus into the real world Colby is now standing in the middle of the room, shirtless and a little bloody.

"What happened?" I ask as I notice the blood on his body is from cuts and scrapes all over his body.

"This? I'm fine. Just part of the job." He shrugs as he wipes down his torso with an alcohol wipe Katrina had handed him.

The sight of the blood brings a flooding rush of memories from the last time I saw my parents back into my head. All I imagine is the bloody aftermath of the scene and it almost makes me vomit right there all over Colby's shoes.

I don't though, instead I stand and leave the room quickly and ignore the calls from the others asking where I'm going.

I practically run up the stairs to Brennan's room and walk straight in without knocking. I soon regret my choices as I walk in on Brennan, shirtless and looking worse than Colby did.

I stand in horror as I watch blood drip down his face and stomach and pretty much everywhere else on his body. Then suddenly his voice brings me back as he asks if I'm okay.

"What? I'm- uhm- I need some air." I respond and run back out of the room and down the stairs to the back door.

I run out the door and down to the sandy beach of the lake where I drop to my knees and just stare at the blue water. A couple minutes go by of me blankly staring before I'm brought from my trace like state by a voice from behind me.

"Kensley? Are you okay?" Katrina asks.

I look up and see half of the group standing behind me seeming rather concerned.

"I- I'm fine. I'm sorry." I respond and stand up to become eye level with Kat.

"Are you sure? You looked like you saw a ghost when you ran out of the room." Brennan asks.

"Just.. uhm.. seeing all the blood kind of forced a reminder of my parents and I'm not gonna lie, I almost threw up on Colby." I shrug with a small fake laugh.

"Awe honey, I'm sorry to hear that. Can we get you anything to help you feel a bit better and safer?" Tara asks and wraps an arm around my shoulders.

"Honestly, the strongest drink you can come up with and a hot shower." I sigh.

"That is definitely something I can help with. The drink obviously not the shower." Katrina laughs.

I laugh slightly as well and follow the others who have started walking up to the house already. Once inside we walk down one of the halls to the bar room where everyone ends up hanging out for a while and relaxing with drinks and laughter.

After some time and several drinks I drunkenly stumble up the stairs to Brennan's room for the hot shower I mentioned previously.

The clothes I have here have been moved up to his room for easier access so I go over to one of the suitcases they reside in and rummage through until I find some black spandex shorts and an oversized forest green hoodie. Of course the OCD in me makes me match my underwear to the outfit so I choose solid black lace trim cheeky panties and decide no bra, since I am just going straight to sleep.

I spend a solid twenty minutes in said shower and when I finally emerge from the steamy bathroom I find Brennan laying in bed in only his boxers. I can't help but stare at the cuts covering his body along with the now visible bruises that have popped up in some spots. It really makes me wonder what he actually does for a 'job' to end up like this.

I mean I know he says he's a hit man or whatever but I never truly believed that until now. I thought it was an over exaggeration of his real job until I seen how beat up he was after one job.
I continue to stare off, lost in my thoughts, as I lean against the door frame of the bathroom until he glances over and finally notices me.

"Shit sorry, I completely forgot you were staying in here." He laughs and covers himself with a blanket.

"It's fine. Not like I haven't seen a boy in his underwear before." I shrug and walk over to the bed to lay down as well.

"Yea but it feels dirty sleeping next to you without clothes on." He says with a playful grimace.

"So go put clothes on." I laugh.

"I mean I could, but I'm so comfortable." He sighs.

"I don't know what to tell you then. Be dirty I suppose." I shrug and fall back from my propped up position so I'm laying flat on my back.

Eventually Brennan gets up and puts on some white jogger sweat pants then crawls back into bed where we both quickly fall into a deep sleep.