𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏: 𝐀𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲

"Mom I really don't want to meet him." I pleaded to my mom with the little hope I had that she would listen to me.

"Avery, would you quit worrying? Honey believe me Jason is a nice guy." my mom, Melissa stated confidently.

Jason Crawford. My mom's boyfriend. I haven't even met the dude and I already hate him. 

I've seen his picture a couple of times and let me tell you what he looks like. He's a middle age man in his mid-40s, around 5'10 with dirty blond hair. He wears tank tops and jeans making him look like a total frat boy. He's the complete opposite of my dad. 

My dad died three years ago in a fatal car accident. I still remember that day vividly. My whole world fell apart. My dad was like my best friend and this cruel world just had to take him away from me. 

My dad was a selfless man who was also in his mid-40s and around 6 feet tall. He had soft brown hair and caramel-colored eyes that would light up the room. My dad was a businessman so he always wore formal attire. He was always presentable and punctual. 

Although I don't know much about Jason I can already tell that my dad is so much better than him. I was thinking about this until I heard the doorbell ring.

"Avery come downstairs! Jason is here!" my mom yelled from the kitchen.

I rolled my eyes and made my way downstairs. As soon as I entered the kitchen my mom gave me the "be nice" stare. That's the one stare I can never disobey. I swallowed up my ego and greeted Jason.

"Hi, you must be Avery! Melissa told me many good things about you!" Jason exclaimed while giving me a genuine smile but something was off about that smile. 

I turned to my mom and give her the "are you serious look". I quickly turn back to Jason and finish greeting him.

"Hi, nice to meet you," I said bluntly with an emotionless face. 

I wanted to run upstairs and hide in my bedroom so badly until my mom brought me back to my senses.

"Avery honey let's eat?" my mom asked me in a sweet tone yet we both knew deep down she was pissed at how I'm treating Jason.

"Sure mom," I said calmly to avoid any issues.

We all sat at the dining table. Jason and my mom sat next to each other while I sat on the other side of the table directly opposite of my mom. The only good thing about this situation is that my mom made my favorite meal. Alfredo pasta. 

My dad and I would always eat alfredo pasta together every Sunday around noon. Today was very annoying though since Jason was here and it was a Thursday. I quickly lost my appetite and was about to get up before my mom glared at me.

"Are you okay Avery?" Jason asked me with pure concern in his voice but deep down I could tell that this man was everything but concerned for me. 

I couldn't describe it but I was getting weird vibes from him.

"Avery?" my mom whisper yelled at me to bring me back to reality.

"I'm okay, thank you." I once again said in an emotionless tone.

"Mom, I don't feel well so can I go upstairs?" I asked my mom politely but internally I was raging.

"Sure sweetie" she replied in a bittersweet tone.

That's it. I quickly ran upstairs and flopped on my bed. I literally couldn't erase Jason's words from my head. His tone was so weird. Although he sounded concerned and caring I feel like it's all a disguise. An ugly mask. 

I felt the sudden urge to get up and wash my face to forget about this whole situation. As I was about to open the bathroom door I saw Jason. He was standing there with a grin and just as I was about to speak he said

"Sorry, Avery I didn't mean to disturb you. I just came to wash my hands."

Again his tone was weird. It sounded sincere yet totally fake. I just rolled my eyes and went back to my room. 

While he was washing his hands I began to think. Why wouldn't he wash his hands downstairs? I mean we have a kitchen sink and a small bathroom downstairs. What made him want to come upstairs? While I was in my thoughts my mom called me downstairs again.

"Avery, Jason is leaving, come say bye!"

I wanted to just yell bye from my room but went downstairs anyway to please my mom.

"Bye Avery!" Jason exclaimed cheerfully.

"Bye," I said sternly.

Secretly I knew my mom was pissed at my behavior towards him but I don't care anymore. I never wanted him to come here in the first place. 

Just as Jason was about to leave we made eye contact. It wasn't a casual one though. There was something hidden within his eyes. I can't put my finger on it though but I'm determined to find out. 

I'm on to you Jason Crawford.