Chapter 10: As Autumn Fades

As Autumn fades winter begins. Snow is not such a welcome sight with folks around here. It had only been a night since the events of last but the excitement didn't stay with everyone. Beth pushed her phone onto the floor as her alarm went off. She pulled herself together as best she could. The tiredness in her eyes carried her to the bathroom. A shower perked her up. Pulling on a nice polkadot dress she sauntered into the living room. Her eyes darted to the window. This was unusual. Autum was sitting in her chair in front of the window. Unusual was an understatement. Beth could not fathom the difficulty it would have taken for her to pull herself into her chair and wash herself. Autum seemed anxious, rocking in her chair. She seemed to be muttering something under her breath.

"Sunny's coming over." Beth listened closely and believed these to be the words she echoed. Beth could barely take another step when Autum flipped around. "Morning Beth," Autum said with a smile that seemed to grow. Autum was dressed in a nice outfit consisting of a soft long sleeve blue shirt and white shorts that were just under the knees. But the most noticeable thing was her hair that was pulled back into a tail. She even had a little blush on her cheeks. Beth just smiled at her.

"So you pulled yourself all together without me?"

"I didn't have much trouble," Autum said turning back to the window. Beth dragged her feet along to Autum, roping around her.

"It feels like you don't even need me anymore," Beth said, squeezing her tight into a hug. Autum rested her hand on Beth's arm.

"Even if I grow to not rely on you I will always need you," Autum said softly. Beth started to squeeze even tighter. "Ok stop you're killing me," Autum said squeezing air out. Autum tried to catch her breath as Beth released her only for the sound of the side gate to perk her right up. Beth jumped back as Autum rolled around to the back door. Beth couldn't help but watch. After another second a knock hit the door as it slowly opened.

"Good morning Beth," Sunny said with his eyes closed showing a huge smile. His eyes slowly opened as he looked down. "And a good morning to you too Autum," he said, leaning down to her eye level. Autum giggled and looked away slightly.

"Good morning Sunny." Autum could hardly look at him.

"Good morning Sunny," Beth said watching. Autum seemed to be waiting for something. She turned to see Beth watching. Sunny just stood there holding onto the door awkwardly.

"Beth, don't you have breakfast to make?" Autum asked, turning to her. Beth said nothing and turned away walking to the kitchen. Before Autum could flip around Sunny wrapped around her.

"I have to get to work," he said, kissing her on the cheek. Autum grabbed his shirt collar leaving him there suspended as she kissed him on the lips. They both giggled as he pulled away back out the door. Autum rolled to the kitchen table with a smile that didn't fade. Autum just sat there with her hands holding up her face. Beth peered back as she cooked.

"You certainly look happy today." Autum just gave a happy sigh. Her head seemed to be in the clouds. Autum said nothing in response, she just sat in silence dreaming. Beth seemed a bit overshadowed by Sunny, but this didn't matter as long as she was happy. As soon as food hit the table Autum sat up straight. She scarfed down her whole plate. "You are gonna mess up your tummy." Autum made no response and licked her plate clean.

"I'll be outside ok," Autum said frantically as she pulled herself away from the table. Beth just smiled and ran to the back door to open it for her.

The air was still. No wind to be heard of. Autum planted herself in the same spot watching Sunny plant flowers. This situation wasn't new but the energy was. Sunny looked at her from the corner of his eyes. She could barely hold herself together. Sunny stopped what he was doing and pulled himself off the ground. He walked over and slowly leaned in as Autum closed her eyes. He pulled away grabbing his water bottle that was on the table next to her.