chapter 1

A/n this story takes place after the book, Johnny & Dally are alive. Above is what mc looks like

My alarm went off, 5:30 am; I get up and slip on some jeans and a t-shirt, it's the 1960s and I'm not what most would consider 'a lady'. I put on some mascara and bright red lipstick, then I grease my short brunette hair a little. It's too hot in the summer to have long hair and the grease keeps it out of my face so that's how I wear it. I eat a quick breakfast, slip on my boots, and head to the stables.
The barn is already bustling with life; night watch switching positions, grooms checking on horses, trainers working with show horses, etc. I feed my share of the horses then muck the stalls as they eat. When they are done I take out my first horse and begin to groom him. A beautiful bay quarter horse stallion. He's getting sent as a stud today and my boss wanted him in peak condition so I take extra time brushing him and trim up his mane a little too. Then I lunge him so he won't be too rambunctious and put him back in his stall. I groom and exercise the other 4 horses assigned to me. Finally I make it to the broodmare. Usually my boss only has me groom studs and sometimes yearlings but staff is short so I am taking care of her until she has her foal, which by now should only be a few more days at most.
"Hey Rob, can you come do a check on her?" I call to the main foaling supervisor. He jogs over; despite being in his 60s he is very fit and is excellent with the horses I hope to one day be just like him. He checks the mare. She's a dark buckskin with good genes, the boss has been trying to breed another buckskin for awhile but the gene is homozygous. She had a buckskin colt some time ago but he was sold because of temperament problems. My old friend was in charge of him, the only person who could handle him. He was so heartbroken when that Colt sold he quit.
"She looks like she should foal in about 1-2 days, I'll have the night watch keep an eye out but tomorrow you should stay the night." This was why I didn't like working with broodmares, I never got a lot of sleep as it was but now with this I would most likely not sleep at all.
"Alright, thank you." He left and I began brushing her. Rob and I had been friends despite our age difference. He has helped me through some tough times. Someone came behind me and tapped my shoulder, I mentally groaned as I turned around. "Hello Mr. Bills, may I help you?" I said with a smile. My boss, Mr. Bills, eyed the mare.
"She looks good, due anytime I assume?"
"You assume right, Rob said probably tomorrow, he's getting a team ready."
"Great, after you load up the stud, get the show tack ready, it might need to be cleaned, and get the horses ready here's the list of yours." He smiled and handed me a list. It was only 3 horses thank goodness. He turned on a heel and left.
I finished up and left about 3 pm, all the tack needed to be cleaned desperately. I sighed and headed to the nearest gas station to get some coffee. I had two hours before I had to go back.
I walked into the D-X I usually only go here on late nights but hey there's a first for everything. There was a couple greaser boys crowded around the counter laughing as I made my way to the coffee. As I was filling the cup I felt a hand wrap around my waist. I looked up to see the infamous Dallas Winston, who wasnt only know for his fuzz record but also his barrel runs.
"Hey so what's the guy chances of me getting with a pretty broad like you." He winked. I smirked to myself, this was gonna be fun.
"OH 100%!" I squealed. He looked taken aback but quickly regained his composure. "You're Dallas Winston, I'm in awe of your police record!" He smiled more and pulled me closer, discusting. "OH this is just a DREAM!"
"Well I can understand that, but are you serious?" He seemed to be trying hard to keep his tuff exterior. I giggled and turned to him.
"No. Now get away from me before I put a hat on your bed." I said flatly his smile fell. The boys at the counter burst out laughing.
"Yeah, whatever stupid broad." He said as he left the store angrily. I rolled my eyes and made my way to the counter, where the others parted a way to the register.
"Is that all 'stupid broad'" the cashier laughed
"Yes sir," I looked at his nametag and my eyes widened in surprise. "SODAPOP!" I jumped over the counter and hugged him. He pushed me back and looked at me for a second before his eyes lit up.
"Bunny?!?!" I nodded my head, it had been 3 years since I saw him.
"Wait you know her?" A boy with black hair said.
"Her name is Bunny?" A boy with rusty hair and sideburns asked.
"Yeah, we used to work at the stables together, her names actually Bonnie but we had silly nicknames for each other. Hers was Bunny and mine was-" his eyes widened with realization, my smile grew bigger. "Don't you dare." He pointed at me.
"His was Sodapapi!" I laughed.
"Isn't papi Spanish for daddy?" A small green eyed boy said.
"Y-yea, that's the punchline, and EVERYONE at the stables called me that!" He fake-pouted. I checked my watch it was already 4.
"Hey, I gotta get going but there's a rodeo tonight if y'all want to come I'll be there." I smiled, they all nodded and agreed. Then I bolted out of there.