chapter 6

Sodapops pov: she kissed me it was like fireworks going off, I had loved Bonnie since I met her and I desperately wanted her to love me back. She was everything; tuff, beautiful, smart, graceful, and easy going. I liked Sandy but my love for Bonnie was different, it was deeper. She pulled away from the kiss.
"I don't think we should do this. Not until you break up with Sandy it's not fair." I felt crestfallen but I agreed and we played down with her still in my arms. She smelled like horses and wild flowers and her hair was so soft, her breathing was even and quiet; letting out little puffs with every exhale. Everything about her was like a lullaby as it put me to sleep.
Bonnie's pov: I woke up in Soda's arms. It was 5:40, I slept in late. I wiggled out of his arms, put my old clothes on and went to the kitchen, no one was up so I wrote a note that I went to work and grabbed some of Darry's perfect chocolate cake. I jogged to my house since it was on the way to make myself a little more presentable, then jogged the rest of the way to work. I was fairly fit and ran often so it wasn't a problem. I got there just before Rob and Mr. bills. I began grooming my horses. I thought about Sodapop, I loved him, I had always loved him but I just couldn't do that to Sandy, she was too nice. If he wanted me he would have to break up with her because I would not be the other woman.
When I made it to the Broodmare she nickered softly, I stroked her soft muzzle, she was definitely going to foal tonight. Rob walked up beside me.
"The vet that will be accompanying you tonight is Mr. Mitchell, did you have anyone else to be with you?"
"Yes, Sodapop Curtis, he's helped deliver a few foals from this mare in that past." Rob smiled warmly, his peppered hair glimmered in the sunlight sifting through the windows.
"I remember Sodapop, he was a good boy. Are you two still friends?"
"Yes." His eyes were proud and his wise face grinned.
"Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only true friends will leave footprints on your heart. You can have the rest of the day off come back at 9 o'clock to start your shift." He turned, leaving me confused on what he had said. I shrugged it off and left the barn.
On my way to my house I stopped at the D-X, Soda told me his schedule working there last night. I walked in and the bell rang, he popped up from behind the register.
"Bunny! Hi, why didn't you wake me up when you left this morning?" He put his hand on his hip and shook a finger at me.
"Because good one-night stands don't stay for breakfast." Steve sauntered in from the garage wiping sweat off his brow. Soda stuck his tongue out at Steve.
"I knew you had work and no one should go in on 3 hours of sleep."
"What about you?" He shot back. I climbed onto the counter and puffed out my chest.
"I am an almighty god!" I stated in a deep voice.
"Your eye bags say otherwise bun." Steve pointed, I laughed and got down.
"Soda, I signed you up for foal watch tonight I hope you don't mind."
"Hmmm, how many people are going to be there?" He questioned.
"Just us and the vet, but the vet usually sleeps until delivery."
"Okay, sounds good." I rolled my eyes, he acts like he wasn't going to do it anyways. The bell rang again, I turned my head and there was Sandy. She had a big smile on her face and flawless makeup. How was she not his type?
"Hi Steve, hi Bunny, hi baby." She walked up to Soda and gave him a peck.
"I brought you two lunch, I'm sorry Bunny, I would've brought you something if I knew you were here." She pouted.
"Don't worry about it, I was goin to go to DQ anyways." She smiled
"Can I come with?" I nodded. We all chatted for a moment and Sandy and I left for DQ. On the wall there we got catcalled a lot but not jumped, she was so kind, we talked about our likes and dislikes and such and such.
At DQ we sat in a booth in the corner, I ordered a cheeseburger, fries, and a coke; she got a chili dog, fries, and a strawberry milkshake. As we talked we got on the topic of Sodapop.
"Yeah he and I have been friends since first grade, he put gum in my hair when the teacher called his parents they had me over for dinner. At first we were rivals and I kept coming over because Darry and I were friends but after a while, we became friends." I said, it was kinda funny how we had the enemies to lovers trope.
"Wow! That's so cool! Honestly, I started dating him to get back at my ex." She rubbed her neck in embarrassment.
"That's okay, love finds us in weird situations." She covered her face and ran to the bathroom. That escalated quickly. I followed her.
"Honey what's wrong?" She weeped, I rubbed her back and waited for her to calm down."
"Oh Bonnie! I love him, I really do!" She cried.
"It's okay Sandy, just tell me what's going on."
"The other night-" she hiccuped "I got really drunk and cheated on him!" I was shocked, I didn't know if I should comfort her or punch her, she continued. "And- I took a pregnancy test yesterday and it came out,
-" oh no "positive!" She continued to cry, I hugged her, her entire world was probably collapsing right now. I held her shoulders.
"I will be there for you the entire way if you want me to but you need to tell Soda."
"I- I can't! He won't love me! And you can't help me because my grandmas taking me in Florida!"
"Sandy. First of all, you do not need his love, this baby is your top priority now. Second, I will still write you in Florida. You're my friend and I love you ok?" I stoked her hair until she calmed down and we left the restaurant.