chapter 8

A/n: I have never helped a mare foal, I'm so sorry

     Soda and I arrived at the stables just after the vet, I wasn't used to it being so quiet. We walked to the mares stall. And turned the heating light on. The mare nickered softly when she saw us.
     "Hey girlie, remember me?" He scratched her forehead.
     "Good y'all are here. Have either of you foaled a horse before?" The vet came up behind us. He had a firm but gentle look in his eye, he was built like a square with red hair.
     "He has, I haven't." I said, I suddenly felt insecure about my abilities.
     "Alright then, when she's ready she'll probably lay down, come and get me when she goes into labor. I'm goin to be sleeping in the grooms quarters. I'll take it from there." I nodded and he left. Soda opened the gate and went in, me close after, we sat on the floor as the mare nibbled hay.
     "Do ya' think the foal will be anything like Mickey Mouse?" He asked, he looked a little hurt.
     "I think it'll be better. Especially if it has you here for the birth." I nudged him and he chuckled lowly. "Hey what's up? You seem down." I put my arm around his shoulder. He sighed.
     "It's Sandy, she told me something today." My gut dropped, this was bad. He didn't look up. "she called and asked me to meet her by her house, I came... And she said-" his breath hitched. "She said she's pregnant and it's not mine, and worse, shes moving to Florida in a week." He cried, I embraced him in a hug. "Maybe this is because I said I loved you, karma. I'm a horrible boyfriend." He weeped.
     "No, no Soda you're a great boyfriend, she shouldn't have cheated. You are one of the best people I've ever met." He pressed his nose to my hair and inhaled deeply before looking at me.
     "I really do love you Bonnie, I think this was a sign for me to be with you." I smiled sadly, I loved him so much but he was probably on the rebound, and what if I hurt him? But as I looked into his beautiful blue eyes I knew this was what I had always wanted.
     "I love you too, Sodapop Curtis." We smiled and kissed, it was warm and intimate, like everything was going to be okay.
      Suddenly the mare screeched and lied down. We both got up she was snorting and heaving. Soda haunched down to comfort her and I ran to the grooms quarters.
     "Sir! Get up she's foaling!" There was no response from him, I shook him, finally he got up. "Come on, the mare is giving birth!" I pulled on his arm. Sluggishly, he got up and filled me to the stall.
      "Ok girl, go keep her head down and comfort her, boy, help me deliver the baby. They put gloves on as I put the mares head on my legs. I stroked her head as she heaved, and whispered to her until finally, I heard the vet's voice.
      "It's done!" We all cheered as she lifted her head to see the newborn baby. The vet tossed me a towel to wipe down the baby with the momma, as they went to go wash their hands. It was a Colt, as I wiped the gunk away it realvealed a strong perfect buckskin coat. The small colt stood on his wobbly legs and wobbled over to his mother to begin to drink.
     Sodapop and the vet walked in, apparently Soda had used his charm because they both were laughing. I smiled too, when they saw the Colt they stopped.
     "A buckskin colt. You wanna check him out doc?" Soda pumped his fist in the air, the vet came over to look the Colt over. I watched him gently take measurements and check everything when Soda takled and picked me up from behind.
     "Soda! Put me down!" I laughed, he swung me around and placed me down.
     "I guess you were right about me being lucky baby!" We laughed. The vet stood up.
     "I've never seen a more healthy foal. Are you two a couple?" I blushed.  Sodapop looked at me, was I rushing into things? He just broke up with Sandy today. At the same time I loved him. I nodded and he smiled even bigger.
     "Yes we are." He grabbed my hand and squeezed it 3 times. The vet smiled approvingly at us and checked his watch.
     "Well it's 3 am, I can take it from here you kiddos run along and get some rest, I'll tell Mr. Bills you aren't working today Bonnie." He smiled.
     "Alright thank you so much!" Soda and I left, stumbling and mentally deranged onto the streets. Oh boy, we were menaces to society.