Chapter 1

A/N: there are a few direct quotes from the book, Kingdom of Ash btw. They are italicized. One quote is slightly different in the book.

Asterin's POV.

            A week of Aelin Galathynius' coronation, Asterin Blackbeak and the rest of the Thirteen stood near their wyvern's waiting for their leader, friend, and Queen, to say goodbye to the newly crowned Queen of Terrasen and the King of Adarlan.  As Asterin waited and watched, she saw a small look of sadness cross Manon's face before disappearing again.  It was hard for her, Asterin understood what it was like to have to leave a loved one.  After all, she had lost both her Hunter and her witchling.  

      "Go to the Wastes .  Rebuild.  But consider it-coming back.  If not to be my crowned rider, then to train them...and to say hello every now and then."  Asterin heard Dorian Havilliard say to Manon.

       Manon merely stared at him a moment before saying, "It is only a few days by wyvern from the Wastes to Rifthold," Manon's eyes were weary, and yet there was a slight smile blooming across her face, "I think my Thirteen will be able to lead if I occasionally slip away.  To train the rukhin."  (A/N: in the book she says the same thing but instead if the thirteen she says Petrah and Bronwen.)

    A small smile bloomed across Asterin's own face then.  Although she wasn't really listening after that, she heard Yrene Westfall suggest that the Queen of Witches and the King of Adarlan wed.  

     "Leaving so soon?" A voice sounded from behind the witch. 

     Asterin turned to see Fenrys Moonbeam approaching.  

     "Indeed.  We have rebuilding to accomplish in the Wastes," Asterin replied, crossing her arms.

     "Understandable.  We have plenty of it here ourselves." The Fae smirked.  

     "Asterin!" Sorrel shouted at Asterin, "we're leaving!"

     "Well Moonbeam, I must be going.  It was nice knowing you!"  Asterin smirked at the blond haired Fae before swinging up onto Narene and leaping into the air after the rest of the Thirteen and Manon.   

(A/N:  the rest of the chapters will be longer!)