Chapter 2

Fenrys POV

         Even as he watched the witches and their wyverns disappear into the distance with a grin, Fenrys Moonbeam's heart was crumbling.  Why was it crumbling, you may ask?  Well, for a few reasons.  It was crumbling because of the loss of his twin.  It was crumbling because of the loss of his friend and comrade, Gavriel.  And it was crumbling because of the hurt he experienced under Maeve.  Fenrys knew a part of Aelin was crumbling inside as well, it was like they were drowning and couldn't get to the surface.  To their old selves.  But she at least had Rowan to help find that old self.  He also knew that Aelin was the only one who understood what he was going through.  Because she was going through it herself.  Even as she stood across from his, watching the skies, she turned to him and blinked four times.  I am here, I am with you.  

     He gives four blinks in return.

   Aelin smiled slightly, nodding and turned to say goodbye to Dorian and Chaol.  The last, hardest goodbye.  

                                                                                  -

    After everyone had returned to their various kingdoms, the Court of Terrasen took another week to rest and regain their energy before they began to rebuild.  Elide Lochan returned to Perranth along with Lorcan, with the promise to return as soon as they could.  Aelin gave a promise in return to supply as much materials they might need, should they request it.  The new couple seemed so in love, already Fenrys suspected a wedding was being planned.  A few days after the Lady of Perranth and her love had left, the Lady of Caraverre and General Ashryver also left for the small territory of Caraverre, which Aelin had granted Lysandra Ladyship of.  Once again Fenrys suspected a wedding fast approaching.  

        With all these thoughts of love flowing through his brain,  Fenrys' thoughts turned towards the blond haired witch who had left only a week ago, although he couldn't comprehend why.  Asterin Blackbeak was her name.  

             A wildthing.  He thought, like himself.  Like most of Aelin's court honestly.  Including the Queen of Terrasen herself.  

          "Fenrys!" Aelin called.  Fenrys turned toward his Queen to find her standing beside Rowan, her arm swung around the males waist, his around her shoulder.  Fleetfoot was bounding around the courtyard behind the Queen and her King.

         "Hmm?" Fenrys replied as he made his way over to Aelin and Rowan, "what's up?"

         "I need you to go on a scouting mission in Oakwald.  We've heard of some...scetchy business going on," Aelin explained. 

       "Yes my Queen," Fenrys bows, laughing.  When he stands, Aelin turns to her mate.  As they stare into each other's eyes, expressions changing a few times, Fenrys knew they were doing that weird thing they always did.  A moment later, Rowan was walking away, presumably to tend to some of the rebuilding. 

       When he was gone, Aelin turned to Fenrys, "are you alright?" The Queen whispered, "because I know I'm not."

     Fenrys thought of the scars littering his Queen's back.  The scars from during and before her torture under Maeve, dating all the way back to her time with Arobynn.  At only 19 the girl in front of him had endured so much that her eyes were those of someone much older than she.  He blinked five times.  This is real, you are awake.

      She responded with one, yes.

   "It's Connall, isn't it?"  Aelin asks, moving closer.

   "That and other things," Fenrys replied.

   Aelin nodded in understanding, "I get it.  I really do.  We all have a lot to make peace with.  But we have all the time in the world to do it."

  Fenrys nodded.  "Now about that scouting mission.  What are the details?"

   "A messenger just reported a village in Oakwald was scoured and burned.  I would go myself but..."

    "Orynth needs you.  I get it," Fenrys finished for her.

    "Exactly.  That and my Fae Bastard of a mate won't let me go.  Says I 'need a break."  Aelin rolled her eyes.

    "He's right you know Aelin," Fenrys told her.

     "I know," Aelin sighed, "it's just hard, when I'm so used to doing everything alone."

     Fenrys nodded, "I get it.  And so does Rowan.  Now about that errand.  I'll leave tonight."