~Chapter Nineteen~

I took a deep breath as my feet came to halt after finishing the final mile of practice

I took a deep breath as my feet came to halt after finishing the final mile of practice. Oliver and Logan joined me quickly, having chosen to take it slower than I had. Although, they had slightly lower expectations, as Coach expected me to play the role of captain this year, and I was more than ready, and I planned to prove it to him.

"Alright boys, huddle up!" All of the players jogged over to Coach Valdez. "Good practice today boys, I'll have starters and captain picked out by tomorrow, so keep it up. Hunter, wrap us up!" I gave a short nod and moved to place my hand in the middle of the huddle.

"Serpents on three, Serpents on three! One, two, three! Serpents!" Our hands all raised in sync as everyone shouted. With several claps on the back, all the players retreated to the locker room to shower and change. Oliver and Logan were chatting animatedly next to me while we made our way to the back of the locker room where the showers were.

The locker room was filled with noise, from talk about girls to whatever party was happening over the weekend. Showering quickly, I threw my practice jersey back into my locker before shutting it with a clang. I left the locker room and stepped to the side of the door as the other boys started filtering out, leaning against the wall as I waited for Oliver and Logan.

Neither of them took too long, Logan appeared a few moments after me and Oliver a couple minutes later, hair still dripping from the showers. The three of us all walked out to our cars together, Logan having his own and Oliver riding home with me. It didn't take long for us to reach the cars, waving Logan off as his car roared out of the parking lot, Oliver climbing into the passenger seat whilst I started the car.

It was silent for a moment as I drove towards Oliver's place, up until he decided he was done with silence. "So... I think I'm, uh, gonna ask Sky out.." I froze for a moment, and he fidgeted in his seat while waiting for my response.

"That's cool, man! Wait, how long have you been planning on this? Heck, how long have you liked her?!" I exclaimed, starting to get excited for my friend. It had been a long time since any of us had actually had a serious love interest, and I knew Oliver like the back of my hand. He actually sounded nervous, and with all of his previous flings he had sounded overly cocky, not nervous.

Oliver seemed to brighten up instantly, moving on to chatter excitedly about how he planned to do it over the weekend, before the Halloween party that way they could hang out there. Halloween was on Saturday, so Oliver had planned his party for Friday, that way their friend group could celebrate Halloween together by carving pumpkins on Saturday after cleaning up the party.

He talked all about his plan to ask her out Thursday, going cliche and planning to ask her through flashcards while they studied for their history exam together. I congratulated him once more as he stepped out of my car, flashing me a grin as he walked up to his door.

As I drove home, I thought about how both of my best friends were finding people to be with, Oliver was hopefully going to be with Skylar, and Logan had eyes for Harper, although he would never admit to it. He definitely had a soft spot for the redhead, one that I think he hardly noticed, but I did.