~Chapter Nine~

Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Are you joking with me? You are so joking with me! I know it! The Oliver Williams, did not invite us to sit at his table! With his friends!" Harper was now ranting about this so called opportunity

"Are you joking with me? You are so joking with me! I know it! The Oliver Williams, did not invite us to sit at his table! With his friends!" Harper was now ranting about this so called opportunity. I wanted to run and hide and never come out again. My hyper best friend, however, wanted to take this opportunity and run with it. Closing my eyes, I breathed in deeply before looking at my best friend.

"Harper." Instead of noticing, she continued on her rant.

"Harper." Once again, ignored.

"Harper!" Her eyes met mine and they widened. "Oh, Lizzie, I am so sorry. I just-" I shook my head, smiling. "It's okay, Harper. Have you come to a decision?" She nodded slowly, "I think we should, Liz."

I sighed, knowing she was right but at the same time wishing she was wrong. "I know. But.."

"You're scared." I nod, glumly, in response. "It's just.. different, is all."

"And you don't like different." Shaking my head, I knew I didn't have to explain, but I did anyway. "Ever since he left, it's been different. I don't want anything else to change." She nodded quickly, pulling me into a tight hug.

"It'll be okay. And, if it isn't, we can leave whenever. Give me the word and I'll have us out of there faster than you can snap. Got it?" I nodded while smiling slightly. That, was the best friend I knew and loved.

***

Soon enough, it was lunch and Harper and I were walking towards the cafeteria. She had a nervous smile on her face while I had a grim line. I was absolutely terrified. The closer we got, the more I shook. By the time we reached the doors, I felt like a leaf in autumn. Harper took one look at me and pulled me to face her.

"Breathe. It will be okay. And if it's not we never have to go back, okay?" I nodded. My nerves were still skyrocketing but I could handle this. If only for one lunch. Breathing in deeply, I turned and faced the door. We pushed the door open together.

Immediately, all eyes were on us. My gaze went straight to the floor while Harper lead us through the tables to the one Oliver occupied with his friends. The biggest table was in the center, holding the football team and cheer team. A few seats were left open for any others the group might invite. Today, that was Harper and I.

Harper took us to a couple of empty seats that were by Oliver. Oliver, being Oliver, grinned at us as we sat down. "Guys, this is Lizzie, my bio partner, and her friend-" He trailed off not knowing Harper's name. "Harper," my best friend cut in.

"-Harper. And these two are Hunter and Logan." Logan nodded once in acknowledgement while Hunter gave a small wave. Oliver tried starting a conversation, but I stayed silent. My anxiety was already bad, I did not need to say the wrong thing in front of the three most popular guys in school.

"-what about you, Lizzie?" Great, I had already zoned out of one conversation. I inwardly grimaced. This is going to be a long lunch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hope you guys enjoyed that! Sorry for the late update and shorter chapter. With this quarantine, I have been super busy and having a bit of writer's block. Stay safe, healthy and have a great day, y'all.