xiv. lucas' dream comes true

☆★☆★→ ←☆★☆★

☆★☆★→ ←☆★☆★

JOSH WAS an idiot. Maybe he could've slept well if he wasn't watching Max secretively throughout the night. She seemed to be anxious, silently reminding herself that Billy, her very stepbrother, was the host for the Mind Flayer. There was still a chance that they could get it out of him, but it wouldn't be as easy as getting it out of Will. Billy was ten times stronger, and he clearly put up a good fight.

"I found him," said El the next morning, as they sat around her on the floor. She was trying to find Hopper in the Void, and she had a headband around her eyes with static playing over the TV. It helped her concentrate.

"Where is he?" asked Max curiously. She was sitting beside Josh. Since the day before, they'd hardly argued. In fact, they hadn't said a word to each other. For Josh, it was hard coming to terms with his feelings. Unfortunately for him, he cared about Max. He would've taken a strangulation to save her, and that's what scared him.

"Woods." replied El slowly.

"Woods?" repeated Lucas from one of the seats beside the TV.

"He's with... Will's mom."

Will and Josh looked at one another. Then Will looked back at El, "He's with my mom?"

"What are they doing?" questioned Max, furrowing her brows together, almost as if she was disgusted.

"Ill... annoy." stammered El carefully. "They're going to Ill-annoy." Blood began streaming down from her nose when suddenly, Mrs. Wheeler began banging on the door.

"Mike!" she shouted loudly. "Breakfast!"

"Not now, Mom!" he yelled back, before turning again to El. "Illinois? Illinois, like the state? The state of Illinois?"

El looked thoroughly confused as she stared blankly back at him. Then, she shrugged. "Ill-annoy."

"Okay, come on," Max grabbed El's hand, leading her to the bathroom. "Let's get the blood off your face."

They closed the door behind them and all four boys looked at one another. Mike seemed extremely stressed out about multiple things.

"Something's not right." he voiced, finally standing up and pacing before his friends. "I can't get Hopper off my back all summer, now all of a sudden, he's hiking with Will's mom to Illinois? And Dustin's MIA, too? I mean, this can't be a coincidence."

"What does it matter?" huffed Lucas, throwing the comic book he was holding across the room. "The bottom line is, they're not here. It's up to us."