xv. billy's memories

☆★☆★→ ←☆★☆★

☆★☆★→ ←☆★☆★

THE GROUP again looked at one another before walking a past the front desk, much to the lady's disapproval. She watched them, standing up quickly as the teens strode past her.

"Hey!" she yelled. "Two at a time!" They, of course, ignored her and walked towards the elevator. It wasn't like she chose to chase after them. She just took a seat at the desk again and continued talking on the phone.

Josh slammed his finger onto the button, although the elevator door did not open. He clenched his jaw angrily, tapping the button more.

"Stairs." panted Mike, and they all quickly raced up the stairs to the fourth floor, where Mrs. Driscoll's room was. They heard a loud thudding noise coming from down the hallway, and as they raced through, they found Jonathan trying to smash a window with a fire extinguisher. When he heard them coming, he turned, jumping fearfully, as if they were going to hurt him.

"What the hell is going on?" demanded Mike impatiently as they approached Jonathan, whose face was bleeding.

"Nancy! Nancy!" he cried out, banging his fist against the door. El stepped forward, reaching an arm out towards the door, which shot off its hinges into the wall of the room. There, before them, was a monster made entirely of flesh and bones. Human body parts.

"What the fuck-?" said Max, right before the creature roared at them. It had to have been the Mind Flayer in physical form.

El screamed as she pushed the Mind Flayer into one of the walls, then the other, and then into the ceiling. She sent it to the floor, letting it recover for a second before pushing it out of the window and sending it flying to the pavement down below.

"Come on, let's go!" the kids yelled, running down the stairs to the exit near the back of the hospital. They could see some empty ambulances to their left, but most importantly, they saw the Mind Flayer disappearing into a sewage grate. It had escaped. But they knew it was real— it was in full form.

☆★☆★→ ←☆★☆★

They had relocated to Hopper's cabin, which was hopefully a secure enough location to hide from Billy and the Mind Flayer.

El was in her bedroom, trying to find the people that Nancy and Jonathan said had been flayed. Then, they said that they'd melted into the Mind Flayer itself, which would have made sense given its contents.

Jonathan, Nancy, Josh, and Will were sitting in the kitchen together. Nancy and Jonathan were going through the phone book to see if there were any more calls about missing fertilizer or chemicals. Nancy was on the phone.