。prologue 。

A/N: This is originally named 'Memories of the Past Becoming the Present' on my Google Docs for some unknown reason (I forgot) so imma just name this something simple lol

The killing game was a simulation. It's over.

It really... is over. The killing game.

Heh. As expected of them. They did it, they ended the killing game. I knew I wouldn't last in there forever, then again, I guess everyone thinks that too.

Getting reminded of the killing game reminded me of that claustrophobic feeling... it gives me chills. The hydraulic press coming down to crush me... it's too much.

What am I thinking? It's been six years since the killing game! I should get over it! Did everyone get over it? Or are they that good at hiding the horrendous memories?

... For some reason, when all eleven of us -in the hospital 6 years ago- watched Kaito's execution end, the system had completely crashed. We didn't know what happened, but days later Kaito appeared in our sight, and everyone just... asked him questions and gave him comfort.

Some did the same to me when I woke up, for example: 'Kaede and Rantaro, especially Kirumi. I was grateful that I wasn't left out of the group.

I was happy to trust Rantaro in the beginning, even though he 'died' right before I did.

... The killing game...

There were sixteen students in the killing game. And eleven of us are in the hospital.

Five remained in the killing game. We don't know what happened after Kaito's execution, but we all hoped the innocent survived. The mastermind should go to hell for giving us all the torture we went through. Especially to those who enjoyed watching us suffer.

I rubbed my neck. In the killing game, my checkered black and white scarf were there. Now, it's reality, and the scarf is no longer there. Just like DICE. Everything. The killing game was a simulation. A goddamn simulation. Whatever my past self did, it was very -and utterly- stupid of him to join such a game.

All I remember in the killing game was giving someone my scarf, but I couldn't remember or think of a single person who I would give it to. I just know it's someone I had trusted.

Can't be Rantaro; I'm pretty sure I gave away the scarf way long after he died in the 1st Trial. The same reason for Kaede (I was somehow offended she lied about having the receiver... damn you, Kayayde!). Kirumi? Same reason.

I gave the scarf away to someone after Gonta's execution. But why... why can't I remember?

Why can't we remember who the five students are? Just the name and it's all good, right?

The nurses and doctors didn't tell us their names. We asked, but no proper answer was given to us. It's all "you don't need to know that yet," "it's not time," "I can't give you the answer," and et cetera.

It's been about 2 years now...

Questioning myself this is probably one of the rarest questions I have ever asked...

Why am I even a detective to begin with?

.

.

.