32

On Flat−Top Mountain the Duty God Delivers a Message

In Lotus Flower Cave Pig Runs into Trouble

The story tells how after Monkey had rejoined the Tang Priest the four of them headed West, united in their shared determination. The king of Elephantia had escorted them beyond his capital to thank them for bringing back his daughter. From there they traveled on, eating when hungry and drinking when thirsty, moving by day and resting at night. By now it was spring.

A light breeze ruffled the silky green catkins of willows, And the view was splendid.

The season encouraged the birds to sing; The flowers bloomed in the warm sun, Making the whole world fragrant.

A pair of swallows came to the tree in the courtyard; Now was the time to enjoy the spring. Amid the world's red dust and the city's streets, Light silks were worn to the sound of lute and pipe, As flower vied and the cup was passed around.

Master and disciples were enjoying their journey when they saw a mountain blocking their way. "Be careful, disciples," said the Tang Priest. "I'm worried that tigers and wolves may prevent us from crossing that high mountain ahead."

"As a man of religion," said Monkey, "you shouldn't say that sort of thing. Don't you remember what the Heart Sutra the Rook's Nest Hermit taught you says−−'If one relies on the prajna−paramita, he is free in his mind, he has no fear, is rid of dreamlike thoughts of unreality and enjoys ultimate Nirvana.' All you have to do is

'Wipe the dust off your mind, Wash out the dirt from your ear.

Without the most terrible suffering You cannot be a great man.'

There's no need to be so glum. With me here you'll come to no harm even if the sky falls down, so why be scared of wolves and tigers?" The Tang Priest reined in his horse and replied:

"When I left Chang'an on imperial orders, I was determined to worship the Buddha in the West, Where his golden image shines in the sacred land, And the jade hair gleams in the pagoda."

"I shall search the nameless rivers of the world, And climb all unknown mountain ranges. I long to cross the mighty, misty waves; But when, O when, will I find my rest?"

When Monkey heard this he chuckled and said, "You'll have no difficulty in that. When you've completed your mission all your destinies will be over and all your dharmas will be empty, so of course you'll be able to rest then." This cheered up Sanzang, who gave his dragon−horse the rein and urged it forward. As they climbed the mountain they found it truly craggy and precipitous.

Towering peaks, Tapering pinnacles.

Down in the deep and winding stream, Beside the solitary cliff.

You can hear the serpents playing and splashing in the water; Beside the solitary cliff,

Amid the trees on the precipice, tigers whisk their tails. Look up,

And the blue sky is high above the peaks; Turn round,

And the heavens join the deeps in the valley. Climbing it

Is like ascending a ladder; Descending

Is like going into a pit.

This is indeed a weird and craggy ridge, A wall of tapering cliffs. On the craggy ridge,

The medicine−gatherer moves in fear; On the sheer rock−face

The firewood−collector cannot take a step. Wild goats and horses all run free And many are the hares and mountain oxen. The mountain is so high it blots out sun and stars; One often meets evil monsters and gray wolves. The path is hard to follow and difficult for the horse: How will they ever see the Buddha at the Thunder Monastery?