54

The Buddha−Nature Traveling West Enters Womankind

The Mind−Ape Makes a Plan to Escape from the Beauties

When Sanzang and his disciples left the cottage they headed West, and about a dozen miles later they entered the country of Western Liang. "Wukong," said the Tang Priest on his horse, "there is a city not far ahead, and I can hear a great hubbub of voices from the marketplace. You must all be very, very careful and on your best behavior. Do not make nonsense of the teachings of our Buddhist faith by running wild or becoming infatuated." The three disciples were determined to obey his instructions.

Before the Tang Priest had finished speaking they reached the street leading in from the Eastern gate. Everyone they saw was wearing a skirt and a woman's jacket, a powdered face and oiled hair. All the people, young and old, were women. When those buying and selling in the street saw the four of them coming they started to applaud, laugh and say with smiles all over their faces, "Men, men!" Sanzang was so alarmed that he reined in his horse, unable to go any further forward. In a moment the streets were packed and the air was ringing with happy voices.

"I'm a gelded pig, a gelded pig!" yelled Pig in a panic.

"Stop that nonsense, idiot," said Monkey. "Just show them your face the way it used to be." Pig then shook his head a couple of times, stuck up his ears shaped like reed fans, twisted his bristly, dropping snout and give a roar that made all the women collapse with fright. There is a poem to prove it that goes,

The monk came to Western Liang on his way to the Buddha; The streets were a feminine world where males were not seen. Peasants, scholars and artisans, merchants and fisherfolk, Woodcutters, tillers and stock−raisers−−all were women. The beauties poured into the streets to welcome the men;

Young women come in crowds to hail the handsome groom. If Wuneng had not made full use of his hideous face, The pilgrims could not have withstood a siege by the ladies. The women were then all so frightened that they dared not approach.

Clutching their hands, stooping, shaking their heads, chewing at their fingers, trembling and shaking they blocked the streets to look at the Tang Priest. The Great Sage Monkey also pulled a hideous face to clear a way for them, helped by grimaces from Friar Sand. Leading the horse, pig stuck out his snout and was flapping his ears. As they moved forward they saw that the buildings along the city streets were well−built and the shop fronts imposing. There were grocers and corn−chandlers, bars and teahouses, multi−storied shops where everything was sold, towers and fine mansions with well−draped windows.

Master and disciples turned one corner to come up against a female official standing in the street and shouting. "Envoys from afar, you may not enter the city gates without permission. Please go to the government post station and register your names so that I can report them to Her Majesty. When they have been examined you will be allowed to proceed." Hearing this, Sanzang dismounted and saw that the words MALE−WELCOMING POST STATION were written on a board across the door of the official building.

"Wukong," said the venerable elder, "what the village people told us was true. There really is a Male−welcoming Post Station."

"Brother Pig," chuckled Friar Sand, "you'd better look in the Pregnancy−revealing Spring to see if you have a double reflection."

"Stop trying to make a fool of me," said Pig. "I aborted after drinking the water from Miscarriage Spring. What would I need to look for?"

"Watch your words, Wuneng, watch your words," said Sanzang, turning back to give Pig his instructions before going forward and greeting the official.

She led them into the main hall of the post station, where they sat down and tea was sent for. Here too the staff all had their hair in bunches and wore skirts. There were many smiles as the tea was brought. A little later, when it had been drunk, the official gave a slight bow as she sat there and asked, "On what business have you emissaries come?"