92

Three Monks Wage a Great Fight on Green Dragon Mountain

Four Stars Seize the Rhinoceros Monsters

The story tells how after the Great Sage Monkey took his two brother disciples by gale and cloud to the Northeast they were soon bringing their cloud down at the entrance to the Dark Essence Cave on Green Dragon Mountain. Pig was just about to smash the doors in when Monkey said, "Wait a moment. I'll go in and find out whether the master's still alive before we have it out with him."

"But the doors are shut very tightly," said Friar Sand. How will you get in?" "I've got my methods," Monkey replied.

The splendid Great Sage then put his cudgel away, made a spell with his fingers while saying the magic words, called "Change!" and turned into a fire−fly. He was really nimble. Just look at him:

Wings that shine like shooting stars:

The ancients say fire−flies grow from rotting plants. His powers of transformation are truly great, And he loves to wander all around. When he flies to the stone doors to look within A draft blows through the crack beside him. A single jump and he is in the dark courtyard, Watching the movements of the evil spirits.

As he flew in he saw some cattle sprawled around on the ground, fast asleep and snoring like thunder. In the main hall nothing was moving, and all the doors were closed. Not knowing where the three evil spirits were sleeping, he went through the hall and shone with his light into the back, where he heard sobs. The Tang Priest was chained to a pillar under the eaves at the back and weeping. Monkey kept out of sight as he listened to what he was crying about, and this is what he heard:

"Since I left Chang'an in China some ten years back and more, I have had to suffer much crossing all those rivers and mountains. I came out to the West at a very happy season, Arriving in the city for the festival of lanterns.

"I failed to understand that the Buddhas were impostors All because my fate seems to doom me to distress. My disciples gave pursuit and will use their mighty powers: I pray they will be able to achieve a great success."

Delighted to hear this, Monkey spread his wings and flew closer to his master, who wiped away his tears and observed, "Goodness, the West really is different. This is only the first month of the year, when dormant insects are just beginning to wake up. Fancy seeing a fire−fly now!"

"Master," said Brother Monkey, unable to keep quiet any longer, "I'm here."

"I was just wondering how there could be a fire−fly at this time of year, and it's you," the Tang Priest replied with delight.

"Master," said Monkey, turning back into himself, "the journey's been held up so long and so much effort has been wasted because you can't tell true from false. All the way along I've told you demons are no good, but you will kowtow to them. When those devils covered up the lamps to steal the refined butter oil they carried you off too. I told Pig and Friar Sand to go back to the monastery and keep an eye on our things while I followed the smell of the wind here. I didn't know what the place was called, but luckily the four Duty Gods told me that this is Dark Essence Cave on Green Dragon Mountain. I fought the monsters all day long till I went back at evening, told my brother−disciples the full story, and came back here with them instead of going to bad. As I thought it was too late at night to fight and didn't know where you were I transformed myself to come in and find out what's going on."

"Are Pig and Friar Sand outside?" the happy Tang Priest asked.

"Yes," Monkey replied. "I've just had a look around and seen that the evil spirits are all asleep. I'll unlock you, smash the doors down and get you out." The Tang Priest nodded his head in gratitude.