60

The Bull Demon King Gives Up the Fight to Go to a Feast

Monkey Tries the Second Time to Borrow the Plantain Fan

"The Strongarm King is the Bull Demon King," the local god explained. "Did he set these mountains ablaze and pretend they were the Fiery Mountains?" Monkey asked. "No, no," the local god replied. "If you'll promise to forgive me for doing so, Great Sage, I'll speak frankly." "What's there to forgive?" Monkey said. "Speak frankly." "You started this fire, Great Sage," the local god replied.

"That's nonsense," said Monkey angrily. "I wasn't here. Do you take me for an arsonist?"

"You don't realize who I am," the local god said. "These mountains haven't always been here. When you made havoc in Heaven five hundred years ago and were captured by the Illustrious Sage Erlang you were escorted to Lord Lao Zi, put in the Eight Trigrams Furnace and refined. When the furnace was opened you kicked it over, and some of its bricks that still had fire in them fell here as the Fiery Mountains. I used to be one of the Taoist boys who looked after the furnace in the Tushita Palace, but Lord Lao Zi was so angry with me for failing in my duty that he sent me down to be the local god here."

"I was wondering why you were dressed like that," said Pig forcefully, "you're a Taoist turned local god." "Tell me why I need to find the Strongarm King," said Monkey, only half−convinced.

"He's Raksasi's husband," the local god said. "He's abandoned her now and gone to live in the Cloud−touching Cave in Mount Thunder Piled. A fox king there who'd lived for ten thousand years died leaving an only daughter, Princess Jade, with property worth a million but nobody to manage it. Two years ago she visited the Bull Demon King and found out about his tremendous magical powers. She decided to give him her property if he'd come to live in her cave as her husband. So the Bull Demon King abandoned Raksasi and hasn't been back to see her for ages. If you can find him, Great Sage, and persuade him to come here you'll be able to borrow the real fan. First, you'll be able to blow the flames out to take your master across the mountains. Second, you'll put an end to this disastrous fire so that the land here can come back to life. And third, I'll be pardoned and allowed to go back to Heaven and return to live under Lord Lao Zi's command."

"Where is Mount Thunder Piled, and how far is it from here?"

"Due South," the local deity said, "and over a thousand miles." Once he knew this Monkey told Friar Sand and Pig to look after the master and ordered the local god to stay with them. There was then a roaring like the wind as he disappeared.

In less than an hour he saw a high mountain that touched the sky. Bringing his cloud down he stood on the peak to look around, and this is what he saw:

Was it tall?

Its peak touched the azure sky. Was it big?

Its roots went down to the Yellow Springs. While the sun warmed the front of the mountain The winds behind the ridge blew cold. On the sun−warmed front of the mountain The flowers and trees never knew what winter was; In the cold winds behind the ridge

The ice and frost did not even melt in summer. From a dragon pool a river flowed in gullies; Flowers bloomed early by the tiger's cave in the crag. The river split into a thousand jade streams; The flowers bloomed together like brocade. On the twisting ridge grew twisted trees; Beside the knotted rocks were knotted pines. Indeed there were A high mountain, Steep ridges, Sheer precipices, Fragrant flowers, Fine fruit, Red creepers, Purple bamboo, Green pines,

Turquoise willows.

It looked the same throughout the seasons; Changeless forever, like a dragon.

After looking for a long time the Great Sage walked down from the towering peak to find his way through the mountain. Just when he was feeling bewildered a slender young woman came towards him holding a spray of fragrant orchid. The Great Sage slipped behind a grotesque rock and took a good look at her. This is what she was like: