Chapter 11: Otōsan

It's a natural part of an offspring to rely on their parents, for they oftentimes have no one to turn to when things go into disarray.

The mother is the one that brought said offspring into the world, a place of opportunity and suffering depending on the route the child so wishes to take. The father is the one who assists the mother in shaping a childhood, influencing every aspect with his words and actions, from his rage to his love.

I vaguely remember the times where a little one would run freely amongst the trees and through thick and thin.

But isn't today a special one, at least for you? Back in the era where the rampage brought despair to the futures of the youth, there was no such day that existed for fathers.

Though most of them were too occupied in providing for their families, the social pyramid that existed in silence was unforgivable and often harsh to those who fell or couldn't keep up the steepness of plight.

But there was always a moment or two that were to be cherished under the delicate petals of a sakura blossom, a time in which all worries went away and there were no responsibilities to uphold.

Oh, how I'm sure everyone would wish for such a life such as that, deep down in the pumping flesh of their hearts.

But a love between a father and a child is one of those bonds that can be forged and unbroken as the time flies under the guise of the strongest wind.

Even with Kintoru's control looming over those families like a storm filled with unforgiving tears of anguish and misfortune, lightning of fear and cackling mockery, and thunder of angered souls and locked butterflies in cages, there was always a calm ambience of pale blue skies and puffy pearl clouds that all lived under before the storm.

You're quite lucky my dear reader, you fought hard against the grim storm and gained back that what was lost.

A rainbow is what you achieved, and unfortunately your ancestors couldn't have the same, fulfilling life that you will have.

Such a bittersweet ending, but know that they perch on the clouds in which the rainbow starts and ends, happiness in their hearts and for you back down on land.

————————

1620

The crystalline skies tainted with the occasional white streaks of puffy clouds shone in an endless horizon where the birds flew during the season of migration, down and back to places unknown. The sun was at its highest point, the afternoon warmth bathing the inhabitants of the land with a blanket of liveliness and activity, various languages of human and animal alike buzzing into one harmonious song. The sun glistened down on the waterfall of raven hair that bounced with excitement with each step that the girl took.

"Father! Come on!" Hirosa said, her little hand intertwined with the larger, calloused hand of her beloved father. She tugged on her father's land lightly to signify her urgency, her pink lips pouted out slightly at her perception of her father being a bit too slow for her liking.

"I'm coming Hirosa, I'm coming." Her father, Kusonoki said, chuckling at his daughter's pouting expression. He squeezed Hirosa's hand lovingly, and Hirosa rolled her eyes, though there was no anger or malice in them.

Together, they traversed across the glistening fields of swaying grass and through light winds that made the clothing that they wore flow with the unseen gales. Eventually they reached a forest of sakura trees, the petals falling in a steady pattern and blanketing the grass in a thin, quantitative number of pink. The sunlight glistened through gaps of the twisting branches, highlighting patches of the ground and opening access to the sky above.