twelve.

MAD WOMAN | xii.
"IT'S KIND OF LIKE WE'RE SOULMATES"
Earth 838: Avenger's Tower | 2025

They were making their way back to the Avenger's Tower, keeping a low profile as they walked the crowded streets of New York. Wanda 2.0 slowed her steps to match those of Athena who was trailing behind the group. She glances over at the Wanda that was not her own and gives her a smile.

"I just wanted to thank you," Wanda 2.0 says, "For protecting me."

"It's no big deal," Athena says dismissively. Wanda 2.0 looks over at the bruises on Athena's face that were taking quite some time to heal. She felt guilty, as though it was all her fault. It was a big deal. But she knew Nora and if Athena was anything like her, then she was going to downplay her injuries.

"Nora does that," Wanda says, "She does something and then pretends like it's not a big deal."

"Yeah?" Athena asks, "Aside from you, I wasn't thinking me and the princess had much in common."

Wanda 2.0 laughs at the remark and Athena smiles at the sound.

"How did you and Wanda meet?"

Athena looks over at Wanda 2.0 who glances over at her with a smile on her lips, "Well, we met in Sokovia. She was working with HYDRA, and I was trying to find myself I guess. Anyway, we met, and I knew she was the one. I joined the Avengers just to see her again. We became each other's safe haven. I'd do anything for her."

"That's sweet," Wanda 2.0 tells her.

"So, you have to tell me," Athena says, "How did you get Nora to settle, because I've heard the nicknames. She had quite the reputation."

Wanda 2.0 laughs, "Yeah she was quite the Casanova. We met when Pietro and I were still fighting for our father and the Brotherhood. She was an Avenger and rather than fight me, she told me that there was another choice. And she was right. So, I did some time with the X-Men before joining the Avengers."

Athena watches as Wanda's lips spread in a smile as she recalls the memory, "I liked Nora, she was funny and beautiful and so sweet, but I knew she wasn't what I wanted or needed. She hit on me a couple of times and I made it very clear to her that I wasn't interested in being another notch on her belt. So, we became friends. Suddenly she stopped sleeping around. We were falling in love without even knowing it."

"Wow," Athena says softly, "You put a spell on her."

"That's what Pietro used to joke and say," Wanda 2.0 tells her with a laugh, "Anyway, she asked me on a date and the rest was history. Her parents didn't like me, thought the relationship was beneath her and with Thor declining the throne and Loki in prison, Nora was supposed to rule."

Athena's jaw drops, "She was supposed to be Queen of Asgard?"

"She technically still is," Wanda 2.0 responds, "She's been avoiding Asgard for that reason. I don't want her to deny her duty because of me and the boys. Asgard is her birthright. So, I've been trying to convince her to take us there for our anniversary."

"Wow," Athena says surprised, "She gave a whole kingdom for you."

Wanda 2.0 shakes her head, "Please don't remind me. Sometimes it feels like too much, you know? Like we love each other too much. To the point where we'd do something absolutely mad for each other."

"I get it," Athena answers softly, "I mean that's why we're here."

Wanda 2.0 looks up at her, "What happened to the two of you."

Athena chuckles softly as she looks at the sky, "What didn't happen to the two of us? We lost everyone. Her family. My family. Wanda was overcome with grief. Created this – hex, like her own reality. She didn't know what she was doing or how to control it. She ended up giving birth to Billy and Tommy. But there were other people in the hex. People that Wanda was unknowingly controlling. So, we had to let them go."