sixteen.

MAD WOMAN | xvi.
"I KILLED NORA"
Valhalla | 2025

Athena was dead. That was made painfully obvious as she stared at the gates of Valhalla, a location that had only existed to her in brief descriptions given to her by Thor. Now her she stood at the gates, gates she did not want to stand at for at least another century. Maybe two.

"Athena Choi," a voice says, startling Athena. She looked over at the speaker to see a tall man with dreadlocks and golden eyes. She was certain she'd seen his face before, but as she thought of his name she was drawing a blank.

"Uh yes?" Athena says unsure.

"My name is Heimdall. I was a dear friend to your brother, Thor. I saw and heard all and was the protector of the Bifrost in Asgard during my time alive."

"All-seeing and hearing?" Athena asks, "Did you ever see me?"

"Of course I did," he answers, "I will say I lost you from sight as you grew older but when you were a young girl I kept a close and careful eye. You were Princess of Asgard after all."

"I thought my existence was a secret?" Athena asks. Her mother had fled to Earth after learning that her affair with Odin had left evidence. Athena-sized evidence.

"You were the worst kept secret. Everyone in Asgard knew why Freya fled to Earth. We were all too polite to call out Odin's infidelities. But Frigga knew and she cared about you all the same. The people of Asgard hoped their princess and goddess of love would return someday, but someday never came."

Athena glances at the ground after hearing that. She'd spent most of her life thinking that she was unwanted not only by the people of earth but by those from her true home. She felt she didn't belong anywhere. Except with Wanda.

"Wanda," Athena breathes. She'd left Wanda. Athena looks behind her as though expecting some magic door to appear that would bring her back to life, but that wasn't the case. She looks back at Heimdall.

"All my life I felt that the people of Asgard cared little for me. That they would have despised me," Athena states, "I mean I've read stories. I know how the kingdom treats the bastard. Look at Jon Snow."

"If I remember correctly he became King in the North," Heimdall states.

"Okay yes, but he had to die...holy shit. Am I Jon Snow?" Athena asks.

"That's if you came back to life," Heimdall tells her.

"Right," Athena says nodding her head, "And there's like no way I can? Like I can't pay a fee, or you know have some magic spell cast or something? Cause don't get me wrong this place is very beautiful. Heaven if I ever believed in one, but my wife and kind-of kid are out there, and I just can't rest easy."

Heimdall doesn't answer her question, he simply turns on his heels as he heads toward the gates, "Come. There are people who would like to speak with you."

"People?" Athena asks curiously. Heimdall says no more as he walks toward the massive hall. Athena glances over her shoulder once more and sighs as she follows Heimdall into Valhalla.

•••

As Wanda lands on Wundagore Mountain, she isn't surprised that this is the location that the Evil Wanda had selected as her hideout. She looks around before heading inside the massive Darkhold Castle.

"Wanda?" she calls out, singing the name slightly, "Come out, come out wherever you are."

Wanda's steps come to an abrupt halt as she's met by a giant monster. She isn't scared of the creature, but the way he steps into her path startles her. He huffs as he looks down at her before turning and walking away dismissively. Wanda looks at the creature curiously before following after it.