28. War Games

I open my eyes and the room is lit up with sunlight. I try to sit up.

"How are you feeling?" Jenny is by my side almost immediately.

"Hungry."

"I'll send for some breakfast." She gets her phone out of her pocket and starts typing on it.

"How long was I out this time?"

"Just for the night. It's about 8am." 

I look at the queen. She's the same as always. "I can get her better faster if you let me sit with her."

Jenny puts her phone down and sits beside me. "Alden. Think about it from her side please."

She has tears in her eyes, "She has waited for a thousand years to find her mate. What do you think she would do if she woke up and you were dead beside her? Knowing that she caused it."

I get tears in my eyes now. "At least she would wake up."

"She will wake up. Please don't kill yourself just to rush it. She would be completely broken if she woke up with you dead. I have no idea what she would do."

Clark comes in. "She would probably end it all right there. The thought of being without Maddie is painful as hell. I would just die if anything happened to her. The mate bond is weird and powerful."

The thought of my princess hurting herself because of something I did makes a tear fall out of my eye. 

"But the mate bond isn't here for us. How is she using me to heal herself faster?"

Clark shrugs his shoulders. "The doctor doesn't even know. He made a timeline and said you potentially had skin contact with her hand for 13 hours in 1 day. He thinks maybe the longer someone touches her, the more life she pulls out of them."

"So she can do that to anyone?"

Jenny turns towards me. "She's a very powerful vampire Alden. She will be the queen when she wakes up. It's possible that it's just one of her abilities."

Clark smiles. "The doctor has had so many servants in here holding her hand for different lengths of time. He's trying to figure it out so no one almost dies again."

Knock-knock-knock

"But it seems that for short lengths of time, under an hour or 2, nothing really happens." Jenny gets up to get the door. "So, the doctor is pushing the servants for longer and longer to see when they start to drain. Hi Maddie, thank you for bringing some food."

"My pleasure ma'am. Hi Alden. I made you some eggs and toast. I cut up some fruit as well."

"Thank you Maddie."

"You're welcome sir." She snuggles into Clark and kisses him on the cheek. "Anyone need anything else?"

"Not right now sweetie. Thank you though." Clark stares at her with google eyes while she walks back out the door.

I watch at the princess laying there. "So what can I do to help her?" 

"Exactly what you're already doing man. Just keep her safe and wait this out." Clark puts his hand on my shoulder. "I know it's hard. But we're all here to help."

Jenny sits back down. "And when the doctor finds out how much time is safe. We'll help with that too."

I start eating my food. "I need a shower."

"Yea man. You really do." Clark laughs, "I'll walk down with you when you're done eating. We just have to avoid Emberlynna. The dorms were supposed to be done yesterday. They're not, and it fucked up her entire schedule. She may kill anyone that gets in her way."