14: José

"How come you haven't seen the files yet?" the woman looked at Tristan suspiciously.

"They could have tampered with the timeline," Leon muttered. This was the third mission meeting.

"They? I thought no one could tamper with timelines except us," Tristan looked at the older agents. Something was missing. Something important.

"No one can mess with time except time travel companies," Leon corrected. The woman glared at him; he wasn't supposed to reveal that.

"José," Tristan thought, "Leon is talking about José."

But Tristan wasn't told about the company. In fact, he shouldn't know what it is. He found out about it when he was digging around, trying to learn more about his past.

"You mean some agents could have gone rogue?" he decided to play dumb.

"Yes," the agent answered fast. She answered too fast. Leon was definitely talking about José.

"687," he looked towards the woman, "Can you give me some time with 709?" Tristan gave her his signature smile.

"Yes," she seemed hesitant.

"Leon, what's going on?" he questioned once 687 was gone, "Does this mission have to do with another time traveling company?"

"801, you know your mission. Don't ask too many questions."

"Yes, right, of course."

That's why Tristan's interest was piqued when he heard one of the secretaries say José.

"Good morning, Rose."

"Tristan, good morning."

"How have you been?"

"Well, I'm going to take a vacation soon so I'm excited about that."

"Anywhere specific?"

"I'm deciding between going to the beach or visiting family."

"José, please stop running around," someone said loudly before Tristan could reply. He looked towards the voice to find a head of curly blonde hair running around the lobby.

"José seems to be giving you a hard time," he chuckled.

"Oh no, not at all," she smiled warmly at the boy, "He's precious but he's very..." she took a moment to find the right word, "Adventurous."

"Oh? Is he an employee's son?" There's no way this child had to do with Tristan's mission. But what are the chances someone with that name suddenly appeared in his workplace?

"No, he's a client's son, Mr. Becker's."

"I haven't seen other clients bringing their children."

Rose leaned over the desk, "He's very close to his father, his mother's dead," she whispered, "José has ADHD and Mr. Becker could be a very important client so we're trying to prevent any accidents."

"Very important?"

"He's getting insurance for this huge project he'll do and depending on how that goes he might become a shareholder in Kerzillion."

"He is an important client.

"Yep."

"Thanks, Rose, I've got to go now. Have a nice day."

~~~~~~~~~

"That's good for the company," Ann replied once Tristan was done telling her about Mr. Becker, "A new investor is usually a good sign."

"But you've never heard of him before?" he'd come to her thinking she's the most likely person to know about this.

"The board wouldn't inform us about that," she winced and held her stomach.