17: Confidential

"It's so surreal when a person dies," Sarah, a member of the project team, whispered, "Especially a child."

"I can't believe he was just running around the lobby a few days ago."

"Lower your voice."

"They're saying his father went crazy saying something about taking back all his investment money to instead keep it for his son's future."

"He's going through a lot," Tristan replied, "Isn't his wife dead too?"

"Yeah."

José Becker, the energetic blonde kid, had died. His father stopped all projects relating to Kerzillion and the news made waves through the whole building. One would think that was because of the little boy's death. Tristan knew better. The news spread because Kerzillion lost an important investor. Most of the employees were probably upset about the lost opportunity of a fat paycheck.

"I'm going to head back to my desk," he excused himself.

He looked at Ann's desk, still unused to the empty chair. Maternity leave.

"So, you don't want little monsters?" he abruptly recalled Dahlia's question. He did want children. In fact, the pleasant thought of having children with her suddenly popped in his mind and Tristan had to shake his head to stop the thought from spreading.

"Mr. Antonov, is everything fine?"

"Yes, Mr. Dylan, thanks for the concern."

The man nodded, "Ms. Johnson was looking for you, said the manager wants you."

"Thanks, I'll go see her."

"Tristan!" his manager exclaimed as soon as he entered her office, "Guess what?" A wide smile adorned her face as she circled around her desk and walked toward him.

"Kerzillion got a huge shareholder!" she continued when he didn't reply, "Almost half of the company!"

"Oh? Who bought that much of the company?"

"Another company, it's still not built but the paperwork is in process. There'll be a new extension, this will ensure Kerzillion stays for a long while!"

"I didn't know you loved Kerzillion so much."

"Look at this place, Tristan. It's my second home. It's been so rough the past two years as if someone was trying to bring the company down. But this solves it, Tristan, Kerzillion is staying, at least for a few more years."

"Wait, Dahlia, what do you mean someone's trying to bring the company down."

"A lot of important employees were being targeted," she replied still grinning, "Even me, but that doesn't matter."

It did matter. This whole mission was more than it seemed. Tristan would look through that later, however, right now he wanted nothing more than to bask in Dahlia's excitement.

He allowed himself to smile, genuinely and openly, "I'm so happy for you."

"And for you!" she laughed, "This means we can work here together for longer!"

"Together," his mind echoed, ignoring the rest of the sentence. Ignoring the fact that he'd leave in five months.

"This calls for a celebratory drink," he decided.

"I appreciate the thought, but I don't drink."

"No one said anything about alcohol. I'm obviously inviting you to mocktails."

"Mocktails?"

"Non-alcoholic cocktails, Miss Garcia. I thought you knew everything."

"I accept your invitation, Antonov," she stood closer to him, "Don't tell anyone about this, by the way."

"Of course, Miss Garcia. My lips are sealed."

"Now stop wasting time and go to work."

"According to my information, you were the one who called me," he chuckled, staring adoringly at her face.

"Thank you," she murmured at the space between them, avoiding his eyes.

"For?"

She slowly took his hands. "Being you," she finally made eye contact, "And being here."

"You're welcome," he took a deep breath deciding whether he should say the next part, "My paradise." And if this were some other woman, maybe Tristan would've kissed her, but something stopped him. Because for the first time, he actually thought about someone else before himself. So instead he flipped her hands in his and softly kissed her palms.

Maybe he really was falling for her, even if this was nothing like his other relationships. Even if he didn't experience the crazy stomach flips or the impulsive actions. What else would this be but love? Why else would he be filled with contentment every time he thought of her? Why else would he want to see her every day?

~~~~~~~~~

When Tristan went home, he looked through the sabotage Dahlia mentioned. It took him a while to reach Z.E.I.T.'s database, but he'd done it before. He was right. All of this was connected. Tristan wasn't the first agent Z.E.I.T. had sent to Kerzillion, in fact, he wasn't the only agent in Kerzillion right now.

"Who's 248?" he mumbled.

Multiple agents. 3 years' worth of missions. Tristan remembered how the agent had asked him if he hadn't seen the files during his last meeting. Did these missions truly tamper with the timeline? What would Z.E.I.T. achieve by trying to bring down Kerzillion?

Then Tristan remembered that day. Long before his mission started. He was at Z.E.I.T. and it was chaos. Myriads of wounded agents. It was obvious from their clothing that they'd come from the 2300s. But that's supposed to be a peaceful time, so who were they fighting?

That's how the man had found out about José. It was another time travel company. Their first travel point was built in 2024 in Germany but the company itself took longer to launch. But what did this have to do with Kerzillion?

"The new extension!" he exclaimed. A time travel company would need huge financial income. "That's why he invested in Kerzillion's new extension!"

José is his son. His now dead son. It would make sense for Mr. Becker to name the company after his child.

"Taking back all his investment money to instead keep it for his son's future."

If José was built for personal gains then it would make sense that it clashes with Z.E.I.T. After all, the company was about making sure no one messes up with the world too much, which means no stopping necessary deaths.

That was Tristan's real mission. He wasn't just ruining some project. He was one of the pawn trying to bring forth the downfall of José.