Chapter 5: The Investigation

Sunday Morning (November 6th)

Kyu and Tom's POV

Tom and Kyu were staring at the board in front of them with the evidence and bodies they had so far. "It's not animal-related anymore," Tom said with a sigh and Kyu looked at him. "What makes you say that?" Kyu asked and Tom started to point out the timeline. "Animals kill whenever they need to. Whatever this thing is, it's killing every two days. It's rhythmic, it's a pattern. Animals have schedules, but they don't know how to follow a pattern this precise," Tom said.

"You think it's a human?" Kyu asked and Tom finally tore his eyes away from the board. "I think it's an option that we shouldn't rule out," Tom said and Kyu nodded. "How should we go about this?" Kyu asked.

"We should bring in anyone who was in that area of the search party on November 2nd," Tom said and Kyu was confused by the statement. "To find suspects?" Kyu asked.

"Yes, and to collect witness statements. See which ones overlap, those are the ones we cross out of our suspect list," Tom said, Kyu gave Tom a confused look after he processed the information he was just told. "Why statements for just that day? Shouldn't we go back a few days?" Kyu asked and Tom shook his head. "No, The body was fresh still. Rigor mortis wasn't set in yet. Which means it was there for less than two hours, but the kill was done approximately an hour beforehand," Tom said.

"How are you so sure?" Kyu asked and Tom handed Kyu a paper. He looked down at it and saw that it was the autopsy report. "They gave this to you even without knowing the identity?" Kyu asked and Tom nodded. "They have her as Jane Doe on the files until they have an ID on her," Tom explained and Kyu looked over the report. "She died from blood loss," Kyu said.

"And that's not even the weirdest part, there was venom found in her system," Tom said and Kyu read over that part of the report. "But they don't know from what," Kyu said finishing Tom's thought. "They are still searching for any possible matches, but so far they've been unsuccessful," Tom said.

-

A long line of people stood in the police station as Tom and some of the other officers began to take witness statements. There were an unsurprisingly large amount of witness statements that overlapped. Tom had assumed most would, which meant any that didn't would be lower which means a better suspect list to look into.

As the line got smaller, the faster Anastasia came up to give her witness statement. Anastasia sat down and Tom sat down across from her with a notepad and pencil at the ready. "Can you tell me how November 2nd went? From morning to evening," Tom asked and Anastasia nodded.

"I woke up at six-thirty and I got ready. I left my house at seven-thirty. I arrived at school ten minutes later. I went to class, I finished my school day at three and then I went straight to Pine and twelfth for the search party," Anastasia said and Tom nodded as he wrote everything she said down. "Is that all that happened that day?" Tom asked.

"Yes," Anastasia said and Tom nodded. "Okay, thank you. You're good to go," Tom said and Anastasia stood and walked to the exit of the station. She was a bit confused about why Tom only wanted to know about November 2nd. She has a very small knowledge of the way murder cases work, but that seemed unusual.

-

Anastasia's POV

Anastasia pulled to the side of Pine road again and she walked on a different path than yesterday. She was still determined to find this creature. She wasn't even fifty feet into the woods when she heard a noise. She looked towards where it came from and she saw the creature walking towards the road. She grabbed her phone and took multiple pictures and videos of the creature. Then, she accidentally stepped on a branch causing it to break. "Shit," Anastasia said as the creature's head snapped towards her.