Chapter 16: Closing The Veil

Josephine, Tom, and Maeve's POV

"So, they call it the institute there?" Josephine asked and Maeve nodded. "Yeah, if you go by what the place is actually called it takes a while and it keeps it mysterious," Maeve stated and Josephine nodded along. This is the closest she has ever gotten to understanding her foster children's pasts, so she asks every question she has while Maeve is still open to them. "I can tell you have a question you really want to ask, so what is it?" Maeve asked.

"I just want to know if what you said was similar to what Ana has gone through?" Josephine asked and Maeve hesitated before answering. "Yeah, pretty close," Maeve said and Josephine nodded, she assumed but having that confirmation hurt her heart to hear. "I can't even imagine," Josephine said as she looked over at the young girl next to her. Maeve didn't say anything, she just gave Josephine a small smile before turning her head back in front of her.

"Maeve, are you still sure you can do this?" Josephine asked as the guilt of putting the kid in danger. "Yeah, I mean, Ana isn't here to do it, so I don't exactly have a choice," Maeve said and Josephine felt bad for her. "You do have a choice Maeve. If you don't want to-" Maeve cut Josephine off. "It's fine, Josephine. I promise, I've had to do worse things than this," Maeve said and Josephine nodded, but it didn't change how she felt. Maeve is Anastasia's sister, if Maeve has even a scratch on her, Josephine would never forgive herself. Especially since Anastasia didn't know about her being her sister.

"Okay, but if it even gets remotely dangerous, we are leaving, okay?" Josephine asked and Maeve nodded. "Okay," Maeve said as she felt a familiarity with Josephine. She reminded Maeve of Quinn, in the way that she doesn't want Maeve to get hurt, but maybe that's normal for someone who actually has sympathy for other people. She has only met narcissists, so having the complete opposite in front of her is odd.

"We're almost there. Maeve, do you remember the plan?" Tom asked and Maeve nodded. "Yes. We approach the Veil, I close it, and then we're good," Maeve said and Tom raised an eyebrow. "I know the details of it, I'm just paraphrasing," Maeve said and Josephine nodded. "Alright, Tom and I are here as a backup if you need it," Josephine said and Maeve nodded.

They approached the veil and Maeve started to feel less confident about the situation. "Alright, kid. You ready for this?" Tom asked and Maeve nodded. "Yeah," Maeve said with a small smile and she began to approach the portal. As she got closer to it she started to feel uneasy. The sight of the pitch blackness and the occasional glowing eyes walking by made her a bit hesitant to get closer, but she did anyway.

As she got closer she heard growling and when she looked around she could see multiple Canis approaching. "Guys, we have some issues," Maeve said and she pointed at the animals. "Oh, shit. What are those?" Tom asked and Maeve froze in her spot. "They are called Canis. They are from wherever that leads too," Maeve said.

"How do you know this?" Josephine asked and Maeve looked behind her at the adults. "It was in a book," Maeve stated as if it was obvious. "Stand back a little," Maeve said and dark purple smoke started to come out of her hand. The smoke pushed the Canis back and away from the three of them. "You two stay back and hidden. I'll close the portal," Maeve said and she walked away from the two adults and closer to the veil.

"I think we'll work better as distractions," Tom said and Maeve looked back at them. "No, I got it," Maeve said, she knows the likelihood of disaster and she was hoping to avoid it. "You can't take all the fire, kid. Let us help out," Tom said and he aimed his gun at the Canis. He pulled the trigger and the bullet caused the Canis to draw their attention to Josephine and Tom. "I think you guys should run now," Maeve said as the two adults began to back away from the area.