Chapter 14: Maeve's Story

Tom, Josephine, and Maeve's POV

Tom pulled his car over to the side of the road and put it into the park. "The map is in the glove compartment," Tom said as he checked if his gun was loaded and then he grabbed the gun that he hides in his car and handed it over to Josephine. "Are you sure you want to do this?" Josephine asked and Maeve nodded. "Yeah," Maeve said.

"Okay then," Josephine said and they got out of the car and began their three-mile walk to the vail. They walked through the forest in complete silence. Not one person said a word. Only the sounds of birds chirping and the sound of leaves crunching under their feet could be heard. "So, Maeve, how did you get your powers?" Josephine asked finally breaking the silence.

"Through experiments," Maeve said and this only made Josephine more curious. Maeve knew that she will have to give either a brief explanation of what she's gone through and then be asked more questions or just tell them everything. "In the institution, they would take babies from their families and take them to the institution," Maeve started and Josephine was a bit nervous to hear about what the young kid has gone through.

Five Years Old

Maeve stood in line in front of Ms. Dina. "Maeve, how about you come up here and show us how good of a shot you are," Ms. Dina said and Maeve hesitantly moved out of line and took the gun out of Ms. Dina's hand. Maeve aimed the gun at the target and fired. The bullet hit the middle of the target and Maeve looked back at Ms. Dina. "Impressive. Nina, you're next," Ms. Dina said.

Once class was over Ms. Dina dismissed everyone but Maeve. "Maeve, you have been selected by Ms. Thompson and Ms. Fisher to be a part of The Agent Project," Ms. Dina said and Maeve's eyebrows furrowed together. "Agent Project?" Maeve asked and Ms. Dina's eyebrows furrowed. "You should've learned about it in history class," Ms. Dina said and Maeve's eyes widened. "Right," Maeve said as she lowered her head.

The door to the training room opened and Ms. Dina looked toward it. "Good Afternoon, Quinn," Ms. Dina greeted as the combat teacher walked into the room. "I'm here for Maeve under the orders of Ms. Fisher," Quinn said and Maeve sighed in relief that Quinn was sent to get her. Quinn is the nicest teacher in the institute, she isn't as mean as the others. She has a healthier approach to teaching than many of the other teachers have.

Quinn and Maeve left the training room and began to walk in the direction of the medical wing. Maeve was confused by why she was heading there, but she's learned to never ask questions. Quinn opened the door of the medical wing and let Maeve in first and followed behind her. Ms. Fisher and Ms. Thompson were in the room and they were standing by the chair so Quinn walked Maeve over to the chair and Maeve looked at Quinn for comfort. "I'm sorry," Quinn mouthed and Maeve got onto the chair.

"Doctor, what would you like to start with?" Ms. Fisher asked as she and Ms. Thompson walked over to the chair. "We should draw blood, then do the injection. Keep her overnight to make sure she doesn't have any reactions to anything," Ms. Thompson stated.

"Perfect, let's get that started then. Quinn, you are free to go," Ms. Fisher said and Quinn nodded. "Yes, Ma'am," Quinn said as she hesitantly left the medical wing. Ms. Thompson wrapped a tourniquet around Maeve's arm, right above her elbow. Ms. Thompson sanitized where she was going to put the needle. "You are going to feel a slight pinch," Ms. Thompson said and Maeve nodded.

Ms. Thompson grabbed a butterfly needle with a tube attached to it and stuck the needle into the vein. Blood began to be sucked out of Maeve's arm and once Ms. Thompson got the amount she wanted she took the tube out and placed a bandaid on it. "I am going to start the injection now. You are going to have to go through three rounds of this serum. Normally it is five rounds, but we have made a few upgrades since our last experiment," Ms. Thompson said.