Chapter 10: Adventures With Griffin

Y/N POV

I'm startled awake by the sound of an alarm that I don't remember setting last night. I reach out blindly until I feel the culprit of the offensive sound so that I can turn it off.

5:15. For fucks sake. No wonder it's still dark outside.

I turn off the alarm and place my phone back on the table, but I don't allow myself to close my eyes again, knowing it'll be game over if I do. I may not remember setting this alarm, but I do remember why I have to get up. I'm going riding with Griffin today.

I'm enjoying the quiet when I feel Hailee stir beside me before reaching over and putting her arm around me, pulling me closer and laying her head on my chest. "I know you've gotta get up, but just lay here with me for five more minutes please." She raps out, turning her head slightly to place a soft kiss against my jaw.

I place a kiss against the top of her head as I wrap my arm around her back. "Anything for you, Haiz. Honestly I wish I could lay here with you all day." I say softly, not wanting to speak too loudly in the quiet of our bedroom.

"I'd love that. But you'd break Griff's heart. He's so excited. He had me set that alarm for you last night. He wants to head out by 6." She replies softly, voice still thick with sleep.

"Ok baby. Five more minutes then, before I have to get up. But close your eyes, you need to sleep. I love you so much." I say softly before giving her one more kiss. She snuggles her head into me once more, opting not to speak. Her breathing evens out almost immediately, letting me know she's drifted back off to dreamland.

Five minutes pass by in the blink of an eye and before I know it, I have to get up. I gently untangle Hailee from around me, doing my best to avoid disturbing her as much as possible.  Thankfully, she is sleeping deeply enough that she doesn't wake up, she simply rolls over, grabbing my pillow and holding onto it much like she was just holding onto me.

I climb out of bed and take soft footsteps over to my closet, closing the door softly behind me before turning on the light. I send Griff a quick text to make sure he's awake also. Part of me kind of hopes he won't respond so that I could take the opportunity to go crawl back into bed with my girlfriend, but that hope passes quickly when he responds almost immediately.

Griffin
I've got the coffee ready downstairs, just waiting on you!

Since we're going riding today and I'll be getting dirty anyways, there's no need to make any special effort getting ready. I quickly change, opting for an old pair of joggers and a t-shirt, before grabbing my sneakers and heading downstairs to meet Griffin.

As I leave the bedroom and head down the hallway to the stairs, I'm acutely aware that I have a house full of people who are sleeping. I take the lightest steps I can as I head down the stairs. The smell of coffee immediately puts a smile on my face. When I reach the kitchen, I see Griffin sitting at the island looking at something on his phone. He turns around when he hears me.

"Good morning, sis!" He says excitedly but quietly. "Hey Griff." I reply softly. "Why in gods name are we leaving so early? I know we've got a bit of a drive but the sun isn't even up yet." I ask as I fill a thermos with coffee.

Griffin smiles his bright Steinfeld smile. "Oh come on! It's not that bad! Besides, what's wrong with wanting to spend as much time with you as I can?" He says, walking around the island and wrapping me in a big bear hug.

"Griff you're squeezing again and I can't breathe!" I croak out into his chest, prompting him to let me go.

"Plus," he starts as he steps back, "I thought we could stop by a diner somewhere and grab breakfast before we go pick up the trailer and our gear." He explains. I nod my head in understanding.