chapter three: not that kind of headache.

a/n: so unrelated but are y'all up to date with ms. marvel? this weeks episode was so fun i'm literally loving this show

*****

*****

*****

JOEY STANDS THERE FOR A MOMENT, DUMBFOUNDED AS SHE STARES AT THE EMPTY SPACE WHERE PIETRO WAS STANDING MERE SECONDS AGO

Not to mention, Where Them Girls At is still blasting in the background.

Joey, taken aback, finally begins to walk away from the wall after what feels like a solid five minutes, though it couldn't have been longer than 30 seconds since the song is barely halfway over.

As she makes her way toward the bar in hopes of finding Nat, her mind is clouded with confusion. Was it something she... said? Did? Maybe she's too under the influence to think critically about her actions, but she can't imagine what could've gone wrong in that short exchange after their dance.

When she reaches the bar, she assesses the people seated along it; none of which are Natasha. Across the room, her eyes in search of Nat, she spots Bucky flirting with a girl she doesn't recognize. Even if Joey knew Bucky well enough to find solace in his presence, she isn't sure she'd want to interrupt, or worse, overhear the things he may be saying to her.

So, in a moment of dispirit, Joey makes the decision to take a seat at the bar. Steve isn't behind the counter anymore, and even though she doesn't know the kitchen staff, she only hopes for the best when she asks for another shot of tequila. Because fuck it, she thinks.

She doesn't know if she looks two years older than she is, or if the bartender could tell she was already drunk, or if he maybe even just thought she was cute, but in any case, Joey takes the shot without regard to how she got away with it.

The alcohol doesn't burn as badly this time around, and when she sets the glass down, the bartender refills it— yep, he definitely just thinks she's cute.

And even though Joey knows she shouldn't, and that at this rate even Nat might think she's pushing it, she takes it before she can think twice.

If Joey was probably going to regret the Malibu Sunset Pietro brought her earlier, she is definitely going to regret this.

She remains at the bar, slightly dejected as Party in the USA starts playing, and while misses is a strong word to describe what Joey's feeling, she can't help but think that she misses Pietro. In fact, all she can think about, while two more shots make their way through her system, is what she could have possibly done wrong.

Five more songs start and finish, and when Kiss Me More starts to blast through the speakers, Joey sighs and pulls her phone from her bra to check the time; it's barely 10:15 now.