Chapter 31

Shock, fear, disbelief and disappointment filled Eleanor's head as she nervously glanced at her surroundings. Everything happened so fast.

In one flash!

She replayed the scenario over again. Two cars involved in a collision. Luckily she was wearing a seat belt, but even so, her baby could be very much in great danger.

Don't panic. You've got to think fast.
Deep breaths.

Call 911. No...

Get the hell off the middle of the road first, before another crash happends.

It was hard not to panic. And she must've looked crazy for talking to herself. Quickly she decided to pull over, switching on the hazard lights to alert other drivers. And then suddenly the vehicle who traveled at speed and crashed into her, also came alive.

She discovered that the person in the damaged car was all male. But what on earth was he doing?! She watched with enlarged pupils as the car reversed.
What was he gonna do? Drive away?!
That would count as a 'hit and run' and is a criminal offense even if this accident wasn't a serious one!
What if the man was badly injured.

She suddenly wondered, and then realized he only did the same thing as her. They positioned an emergency triangle, not too far away from where the accident happened. It was just to warn oncoming traffic, and not cause problems for the other cars.

Eleanor climbed slowly out of the car, shuddered violently and noticed the man now approaching her. Oh God, he's probably gonna start an argument. She kneeled down for a minute, placed a hand on her forhead. "Oh dear."

She was feeling little dizzy as she glanced down.

"Lady, you scared the hell out of me." The way he uttered those words made it sound as if he was more concerned about her now.
Well that's quite a suprise.

"I'm terribly sorry about what happened here. You must still be in great shock." The stranger said.

"Here, let me help you up." He bent down to do just that and then glanced down at her belly as she leaned onto him.

"Oh no, this is very bad." It came out as a whisper.

"W-what is very bad?" Eleanor questioned, feeling weak. She shouldn't be letting this strange man help her. And he was holding her steady, in his arms.

"You're very pregnant." He stated, and she glanced up to take a look at him. Really look at him.

Why did he look so familiar?
Strange...

He was well aware of her curious stare now.
"If you wanted to gaze in my eyes for a long moment, you could've just said so."

His cool and calm voice snapped her to reality and she quickly moved out of his arms, blinking.

"I-no...you just remind me of someone I know."

She slid a sideways glance at the stranger. In profile, he was every bit as handsome as...Theo. Except for the way he stood back, with an impatient glint in his chocolate coloured eyes.

"All of this is my fault."

"No, we're both at fault." She interrupted, eyes suddenly teary.

At least she owned the cute red Volkswagen Beetle that Andrea had gotten her recently. She was insured. Thank God.
But...

"What could be worse is that I don't know whether my baby is safe now."
Anxiety in her voice.

She began to cry.
Frankly he seemed unsure about how to react on that. This pregnant young woman, still traumatized and looking vulnerable at this moment. Yes. The child could be in danger.
She didn't deserve this. Hell, no one deserves this.
Why he had the sudden urge to pull this woman close, reassure her, keep her safe from the world and out of harms way.
Tssss. A little too late for that.
But what he couldn't fathom was why he blamed himself for everything? They both crashed into one another, without concentration or looking where they were headed to.
So?