s e v e n

Iskaashato ma kufto

~ If people support each other, they do not fall ~

SHERMAKE

Mandeeq had remained silent since they left the shop aside from a few sniffles she tried to hide from him. He didn't blame her, what they saw was something no one should ever see.

Before they left, Mandeeq insisted on ripping off the door cloth and covering Cilmi with it, using small sea pebbles to keep the cloth on top of him. It was hard seeing her swim about desperately searching for the perfect ones, ignoring the stains that were proof of what had just occurred. It was no funeral but it was the least they could do for now. Once all of this was over, he promised he would find a way to give Cilmi a proper burial.

His mind continued to drift off as the as he rode atop the dolphin to save his father. Death was a part of life but seeing it in such a horrific way was something he hoped he could forget one day. Cilmi was terrified and he had told him to get out from behind the desk. Maybe if Shermake had let him stay, he would've lived.

All of this seemed like a continuous bad dream. If someone were to tell him he would be deep within the ocean, riding dolphins to save his father, he would've laughed. Maybe even called it impossible. Yet here he was, no longer fully human, and sporting a tail and riding a dolphin. He wanted to scoff at the idea when Mandeeq suggested they find some dolphins to help them navigate the sea but he said nothing and just followed her instructions. Neither of them knew how to properly use their tails and it would've taken them forever to move around the sea.

Shermake took a deep breath as the dolphins moved within the vast body of water which seemed almost black except for the jellyfish that swam about. The gentle rocking of the dolphin kept Shermake awake even though his eyes grew heavier by the minute.

A blue whale swam above them, distracting Shermake from his thoughts. Shermake looked at his cousin as she also looked up in awe. What a simple creature she was.

The dolphin under Shermake started to bop it's head against the water, as if it was sending out a greeting. The whale groaned and continued swimming above them.

Friend.

Shame scrawled down his back like a spider as he heard what the dolphin said. It never ceased to render him speechless anytime he was reminded of his ability to communicate with animals. Growing up, his father did everything to make him forget it. He wasn't allowed to use his abilities for he would be in big trouble.

Mandeeq guided her dolphin closer to him until he was within reach. "Ask if they know where they're going."

Shermake glared at her, irritated that she would suggest something he already thought of. "Oh, thank you cousin. I wouldn't have thought to do that."  Sarcasm dripped down from his words like a spicy honey but he winced. He could only hold himself back for so long. They had an entire village to save and they would not be broken over the death of one man.