Chapter 19

"Mmmm," Chiharu grumbled as he stared at the paper before him.

  "What?" Nia asked from where she sat on the other side of the kotatsu. She didn't stop writing or look up as she spoke.

  "I don't get this." He frowned. "Why do I even have to learn another Alien's tongue?"

  "It's so we all can learn to understand each other," Nia explained. "It's another reason we were more advanced than Humans. We eliminated social and cultural barriers by learning the language of the other species. Well, for Humans, I think you would say races." She chuckled.

  "Mmmm," Chiharu grumbled.

  "Of course, we ended up coming up with a common tongue we all understood. Which, by chance, just happened to be Japanese." She smiled at him.

  "Then why do I, or any of you, have to learn the language? You eliminated the social barrier with the common tongue."

  "It's not a true elimination, dummy," Nia sighed as she rested her elbow on the table and her chin in her hand.   Chiharu watched her tail flick around. He recognized it as a ribbing flick. "We Aliens, when speaking with another Alien, like to slip into our native tongue. That's probably confusing for a Human like you, though."

  "It is." He mumbled.

  He had heard it in class. Two different Aliens speaking in their native tongue but understanding each other.

  In other words, for example, a Nekomorian could speak in their tongue, and a Byragin could speak in their tongue. However, both would know what the other was saying.

  The purpose of learning the other Alien's tongue wasn't precisely to speak it but more to understand it so they wouldn't have to speak in common tongue.

  Though with that said, they would appreciate and like it if you were to speak in their tongue and not your own. Not that the translation for them made any difference, as it did with Humans. It was an instant understanding due to their brains processing abilities.

  It was more of a comfort thing if anything.

  "I figured." Nia chuckled. "We Aliens, from a young age, are forced to learn all the languages of other Aliens. You Humans weren't even forced to learn the language of others on your planet." She tapped her pencil. "I never understood that. That was a huge reason for a lot of your issues, from what we've learned. Well, that and population. Which spiraled into famine and lack of land and resources."

  "You sound like you're the one who solved the world's issues," Chiharu grumbled.

  "I probably could have." She grinned. Chiharu watched as her tail continued to flick around. She was definitely teasing him.

  "Sure," Chiharu murmured. "But you said you were forced to learn it," he spun his mechanical pencil in his hand. "But I learned in class today that your parents' knowledge is passed down to you. That means you don't learn anything; you just know it."

  "True." Nia purred. She enjoyed the conversation. It was the first time he had spoken that much and didn’t clam up. She also liked that he was paying attention and learning about the Aliens. It was a turn-on for her.

  See, most Humans, even after the Aliens came to Earth, refused to learn the Aliens' language or about them. This was especially true with those who had already graduated from school. They didn't care to learn more. Especially if they didn't have to. And if Humans did learn anything about Aliens, it was only about the ones they fell in love with. 

  And the government at the time didn't care to implement a forced learning system for the younger generation still attending school.

  Although, it would have only lasted two generations, as that was all the time it took before the Humans became extinct.