Chapter 26

"Nia..." Chiharu thought as he ran through the streets.

It was dark now, the sun having set. He hadn't known it since he was...dead, but Akiko had ended school early so no one would come across him. And she had thrown everyone's belongings out in the hall so they wouldn't go into the room.

"Nia..." His thoughts grew more panicked. He felt something off.

He didn't understand it, but he could feel it in his heart. Something was wrong.

"Nia!" He cried out into the empty streets as he searched rampantly for her. "Ni-NGH!" Blood pooled under him as he grabbed his stomach, lost his balance, and leaned against a nearby wall.

"...Blood...?" He was seeing it, but his brain was failing to process it as he raised his hand to his face to look at it. He was bleeding, in pain, and dying.

His movements had caused the nanobots to dissipate in his body before they could fully heal him. And his aggressive actions caused the wounds to reopen, damaging him more.

"Nia...." he croaked weakly as he pushed off the wall and began to run again. "Ni-" A pain through his heart, like he was shot, brought him to his knees. "Nia?" His sapphire blue eyes widened and shun in the dark as the sky cracked with lightning. Soon, rain began to pour, and the light his eyes emitted created light refractions on the droplets around him.

He didn't understand how he knew; he just did.

"No..." He began to sob, his tears being washed away with the rain. "No!" He cried as he grabbed his chest, the light in his eyes flickering like a dying star before finally snuffing out.

Their bond had been broken.

"I hate him!" Nia cried as she ran through the streets. "I hate him! I hate him! I hate him!"

"Why wouldn't he do that with me? And why does it hurt so much? Things like this never used to bother me. So why?"

It was because she loved him, and he belonged to her. No matter how angry she was, they were meant to be in love. It was their fate

But she began to doubt that.

"What kind of love is one-sided? Why would fate give me someone like him?"

And that was when she realized it. What her teacher had said was true. Not all soul mates had to be together.

This was only true with Human/Alien relationships. And the reason they would fail was because of the Humans.

It was mentioned earlier, but Alien relationships were perfect. They are perfect matches for each other. No arguments, no working on learning and loving their flaws because they had none.

However, Humans and Aliens, some of them didn't work out. The Alien or Human couldn't stand the emotional strain, and they struggled to understand certain aspects of their partners.

But because pleasure was increased, the Humans could become lustful and abusive-emotionally-toward the Alien.

That was the case with Chiharu and Nia, although he wasn't trying to hurt her intentionally. He continued denying his feelings for Nia, which hurt her each time. And there's only so much one could take before their efforts feel fruitless, even to them.

"I.." she stopped running and came to a stop. "I get it. He isn't my lover." Her emerald green eyes glazed over as the light they once emitted faded. "He was a lesson. A lesson that taught me how worthless love is. That, in reality, there really is no one for me. Yes..." She started walking aimlessly. "I understand now...I don't need love."