Chapter 35

"Well, now that that's settled," Chiharu grumbled. "Why are you on the third floor?" He asked Yukino as he looked at her arm which was wrapped around his.

  "I-Uh...well..." She jumped and let go of him. "I was...following you," Yukino muttered.

  "Huh?"

  "HUH!" Nia demanded. "Following?Are you thinking of taking him away again, you dream-sucker? I'll kill you before I let that happen!" She hissed. "Don't think I didn't see you getting all sentimental and lovey-dovey with my Haru! I should kill you anyway!"

  "Didn't you say it was-"

  "Shut it, Haru!" Nia hissed.

  "You wouldn't understand. I'm laying boundaries. And I have to stand my ground here." She thought.

  "I-I'm sorry!" Yukino raised her hands in surrender as Nia bared her fangs. "I didn’t mean to."

  "Didn't mean to, huh?" Nia growled.

  "Yes. It was habit from when..." Yukino paused. "I'm sorry. I never meant to hurt either of you. I was just...having fun and being reckless."

  "So toying with my emotions was fun?" Chiharu scowled. Yukino turned her gaze to meet his.

  "No. Spending all my time with you, awake and asleep, was fun." She thought.

  "Mmm..." Chiharu averted his gaze. Her eyes had told him everything. He knew what she was thinking.

  He hated it. He hated that he could read her like he read Nia. She may have taken the form of Nia before, but the faces she made, her eyes, how she moved and spoke. That was all Yukino.

  If he were to be put under that magic again, he was sure he would be able to recognize her no matter what form she took.

  All that time he had spent with her, the memories weren't gone. In fact, they were clearer than ever before. And with the month he had spent with her under her illusion, he had gotten to know Yukino.

  He hated that. It felt wrong. It was wrong. He never wanted it. He didn't want to understand or know another girl. All he needed to know was Nia.

  "I'm sorry," Yukino repeated. "What I did was wrong. It really was. You two were meant to be together....and I..."

  "It was supposed to be me." She thought.

  "I almost..." Her breathing grew heavy. "I almost ruined that and stole him from you." She cried softly.

  "I failed to take him back."

  "I almost ruined you two's relationship."

  "We had our own, but..."

  "It's okay."

  "Huh?" She looked at Nia.

  "It's okay," Nia repeated. "I know what you did was wrong, but you also didn't know what you were doing until after. Well...you knew messing around with him was wrong, but not about the brainwashing thing." She mumbled.

  "I'm sorry,"  Yukino muttered weakly.

  "It's fine, really. Besides," a smile came across Nia's lips. "I'm not sure," she turned to Chiharu. "How long it would have been before he made a move if you hadn't done what you did."  Chiharu opened his mouth to argue but realized what she said was true. So, he settled with a grunt.

  "So then...you aren't angry?" Yukino asked, bewildered.

  "No. I am, " Nia replied. "But forgive, and never forget. Plus, now that we're bonded, he can't do any cheating behind my back or anything without me knowing." She glared at Chiharu.