Chapter 4 - The Bakery

♡ Alyssa’s POV ♡

I was woken up by the loud and irritating noise of my phone ringing throughout my small room, which only amplified the racket created by the devil of a device. I groaned while my eyes were still shut as I reached for it from my bed side table.

“Hello”, I mumbled, half asleep.

“Morning beautiful”, said the voice on the other line. My heart rate accelerated by an uncountable amount, my breathing picked up, and I smiled to myself hearing his morning voice after so long. “Lyssa?” My eyes suddenly shot open at the nickname. Only one person ever called me by that name. What the hell is happening? It was Luke. It was Luke? I swear I heard Harry’s voice, loud and clear and unmistakeable. Was I still dreaming?

“Helllloooooo”, he continued speaking down the line.

“Uh, uhm, hi. Hi Luke”, I stuttered, shocked by my own misunderstanding.

“You alright babe?”

“Yeah, yeah. Sorry, just woke up… half asleep.”

“Oops! Sorry, I was just headed out to work, thought I’d give you a ring. You’re usually up at 9, its 11! You sure you’re feeling okay?”

“Yeah, I feel great. I was just out last night with some old friends.”

“Oh, that’s brilliant. Can’t wait to see you!”

“Same as I”, I mumbled.

After catching up on the phone with Luke for another five minutes, we said goodbye and our “see you later’s” before ending the call. I took a deep breath, still caught up from the earlier mistake. How is it even possible that I heard his voice? My thoughts were interrupted when there was a knock on the door before my Nana stuck her head into my room.

“Morning Nana”, I said, smiling at her as she opened the door a bit more.

“Good morning darling. How are you this morning?” She asked, walking over to sit on the bed. I noticed her attire; she looked rather dressed up for something.

“I’m good. Going somewhere?”

“Oh, just headed down to Uncle Jay’s. They were just doing some rehearsals for the big day, and they also want to see you”, she said, as she reached her hand out to touch my cheek. Her eyes glossed with water and she cranked her neck to look towards me. “You remind me so much for her.” My heart sank at her words as my vision blurred and I could feel the drops uncontrollably absconding from my eyes. She grabbed me by my shoulders and held me in her arms as I sobbed into her neck.

“I miss her so much”, I whispered, unable to find the voice that had been caught in my throat.

“I know, honey.” I could literally feel the pain that derived from her voice and it made my heart hurt. I could only imagine how she felt… to have your child leave the world before you. I let her go as I wiped my cheeks from the trails of tears running down my face and attempted to give her smile.

She wiped her eyes as well and chuckled, “I need to stop doing this” and I laughed. “Do you want me to wait until you’re ready to go down?”

I thought for a second before shaking my head no. “You go ahead. I’ll come right after you after I fix the mess I’m in.” I could walk; their house wasn’t that far from here, and on the way I could visit the old bakery. I smiled, thinking about the time when I worked there with Harry, a memory of when we’d first started dating.

“Here’s your order! Anything else for you?” I smiled at the customer stood in front of me as I handed them their bunch of pastries.