*08*

The gentle crawling of the breeze between the almond leaves and the thudding of Jethro's heart formed low music as Finn stared at Ava, with an ominous smile laced on his face.

"So, it's not Stan now. It's another guy." He chuckled harshly and Jethro felt his heart falling off its hinges as Ava's eyes bulged at Finn in confusion.

"Another guy?" Ava stammered in her bewilderment and then gazed at Jethro, "Are you not his cousin?" Her whisper shook with force and sadness. And when Jethro's face faltered in a silent but clear answer, she looked back at Finn, hoping to say her explanation but the blond boy was already stomping away.

"I'm sorry." That was all Jethro could say as he watched the tears tumble down her cheeks.

"What just happened?" She blinked at him with a teary scoff, "You lied to me. Is that it?" She demanded, her wet eyes prickling accusingly at him.

"I'm sorry. I did that because.." Jethro stuttered and then trailed off. There were certainly not many good words he could say for now.

"Why would you?" Ava breathed critically at him as he raked his fingers ruefully through his hair, "Why would you do that...and see what you have caused." She sobbed, her soaked face glancing back towards the grassy path, wishing to still see Finn's back, but he was gone.

"I'm sorry, Ava," Jethro murmured his apology again and made to touch her but she shrank and turned fully at him, her eyes spewing venom.

"No way I'll forgive you for this. No way!" She snapped and wrapped her wet face with her palms as she scurried through the back of the house, while her dog trailed innocently behind.

"Argh." Jethro breathed his disappointment as he hit his head recklessly on the bench. Why had he lied about being Finn's cousin? Couldn't he have just thought of a better lie? Why had Finn even come to see Ava? Wasn't he supposed to be mad at her? His head banged with an ache as those questions flooded it.

"Jeth."

He raised his head and hissed when he saw Gavin pacing towards him.

"What are you doing here?" He grunted when Gavin reached the bench.

"I should be asking you that." Gavin slammed back and then leaned forward with a curious look on his face, "I saw  Finn earlier. Did he come down here?"

Jethro shot him a frown and then nodded stiffly, "Yes."

"Why did he come to see Ava? Wait...did you meet with Ava here? Did he see you and Ava..."

"Ahh..." Jethro growled an interruption, his hands clasping his burning head, "Can we just keep shut and leave here, dude?" He howled and started pounding away.

"You keep leaving me in the dark when things get interesting." Gavin sulked when they finally got to where his bicycle was parked. He expected Jethro to talk back and then hissed when he did not. He righted the bicycle and climbed, "Will you get on?" He fumed and then snorted when Jethro would still waste some seconds before climbing on.

The rest of the ride was dreary. The only time Gavin had felt this bored was the night his Dad had forced him to sit in the living room and listen to the late Fox News. That was the greatest punishment he had ever gone through. He had just sat on the sofa and stared sadly at anything that came up on the TV, and it was only in the morning he knew the hilarious thing he had done. Almost dead with boredom, he had taken permission from his Dad to use the toilet, and then he had slept off...there!

Mad Mad.

He laughed at the thought of that and then tried to inject life into the ride by making some dangerous moves again, but Jethro just kept quiet. He gave a frustrated hiss and shook his head sporadically till the bicycle slowed to a stop in front of Liam's inn.