three

chapter three

chapter three... ❝𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐝𝐢𝐝 𝐰𝐡𝐚𝐭!?❞

EVERYONE WAS SITTING AT THE DINNER table. being as it was the first dinner together of the summer, and susannah had started the tradition of cooking up the same meal every year. it was one of kallie's favorite parts of summer.

"steven i swear to god if you look at that phone one more time i'm putting it in the screen basket." laurel told her son after hearing jeremiah and steven laughing at something there.

"it's just, we want to see your pretty faces." susannah told them in a nicer tone, "can dinner be a screen-free day? you know, like the olden days?"

but steven didn't seem to care as he continued to go on his phone, "steven." jeremiah told him before snatching the phone from his hands and throwing it into a basket by the table.

"dude, are you kidding me?"

"boom! nailed it." the younger boy cheered.

"okay, okay, we get it you've been working out," he told him, annoyed.

"oh please," belly scoffed, "you're just jealous because jere has a better body than you"

"uh, no, actually, it's all about the lean look now," he replied as a matter of factly, "that way you can wear tailored suits," everyone at the table then laughed at steven as conrad muttered 'tailored suits' under his breath with a small chuckle. kallie looked at him to see him looking at her. he quickly looked away, looking around at the table instead.

"so, when are you leaving for training camp, man?" steven asked conrad from across the table. the older boy never answered so jere answered for him, "uh, he quit football."

the conklins and barnes' all looked at him confused as the room went silent. "wait- you quit?" kallie asked the boy.

"uh, yeah" he replied in a monotone voice, the confused face still on kallie's face. she thought they told each other everything. no matter what.

"are you kidding? man, i'd kill to play college ball!" steven exclaimed.

"he can always change his mind," susannah told the table hoping conrad would change his mind about his decision.

"i'm not gonna change my mind. i was just gonna sit on the bench all season anyways," he told everyone. clearly being done with the conversation. kallie didn't really believe him but decided not to say anything.

"well, if you aren't playing football anymore, what are you gonna be doing all summer?" laurel asked.

"oh, dude! you can work at the club with jere, jacob, and me!" steven told him excitedly.